Part 14

Things between Stevie and I are moving a lot faster than I have imagined. Her father threw her out of the house, so now she's living with me. It's not that I don't like having her around all the time, but we're certainly not at a point of living together. There's still so much we don't know about each other and she's got these habits that I annoy me, which I'm sure I have too and they annoy her. I'm afraid our relationship is going to end before it has really begun. 

I had a job interview today, they said, they'd call. I'm not sure they will though. Money is pretty tight. Stevie keeps telling me she's got savings. Jerry threw his money at her and she was smart enough not to spend it all. But every time I say, no. I'm the man in this relationship, I've got to provide for us. That was another argument we had.

I haven't really been doing anything for hours now, I just don't want to go home and tell Stevie, I didn't get the job. Most likely. So, I met up with Terry, we talked and he told me not to be so damn proud. It's just not what I'm used to. I want to be able to pay the bills and put food on the table. Don't let her get away if you've got feelings for her. I do. I can admit that I do have feelings for her. I wouldn't say I'm in love, but...

My phone buzzes as I drive aimlessly around the city. It's Stevie. I can't ignore the third message she's sent me. She's done nothing wrong, it's all me. I feel like a failure again. I can't run away, so I head home. 

Unlocking the door, I push it open and close it behind me once I enter the flat. It smells wonderful, has Stevie been cooking? The fridge was empty when I left. I toss my car keys into the bowl by the door and kick off my shoes. Following the sound of Stevie's voice, I find her in the kitchen at the stove. 

"Hey." I say, interrupting her singing along to the radio.

"Hey." She smiles, turning to look at me. "Hungry?" She asks that instead of the job interview.

"I am." I nod, walking over to her, I hug her from behind. "What are you making?"

"Nothing fancy." She shrugs. "Spaghetti with tomato sauce."

"It smells great." I kiss her neck and move to wash my hands. "I don't think I got the job, Steph."

"You will eventually." Stevie says and leaves it at that, which I'm grateful for. 

A few minutes later, she turns off the gas and plates up, bringing our dinner to the table. Half of the food on my plate is gone, while Stevie seems to have only tasted hers. She chuckles and I grin.

"What?"

"You seem to be enjoying that."

"I am. Where'd you learn to cook?" I ask, getting another mouthful. 

"My Mom. I used to watch her all the time." She says, that same smile every time she talks about her mother on her face. I can tell Stevie misses her a lot. "You're blaming me, aren't you?" The topic changes so quickly, I don't know what she means. "For getting fired. If I'd stayed away from you, it wouldn't have happened."

"I'm not blaming you." I shake my head, reaching for her hand. "I wouldn't have stayed forever anyway. I'm glad you didn't stay away."

"Are you sure?" Stevie asks, using a napkin. 

"Absolutely." I say and it's true. "I... I have feelings for you. I'm not completely sure what they are yet, but..." Saying, I love you, is way too soon.

"I know, I get it." She nods once. "I do, too. But I want you to talk to me, okay? About everything. If something bothers you, tell me, please."

"You leave your hair behind after you shower." I say straight away and Stevie's eyes widen. Oops?

I relax immediately, when she starts laughing. "I hate that you don't pick up your socks off the bedroom floor."

"I'll keep that in mind." I smile at her lovingly, brushing my thumb over her soft skin. 

"So, will I." 

We finish dinner having casual conversation. Because Stevie cooked, I wash the dishes after we're done. She waits for me, sitting at the kitchen table. She then walks over to the fridge and gets two bottles of beer. She clearly went to the grocery store. Okay, fine. We do have to eat. Don't be so damn proud, don't be so damn proud.

"Want to see what's on TV?" Stevie asks and I nod, following her to the bedroom. 

We get in bed and snuggle up. Stevie takes the remote and surfs through the channels. I look down at her and smile to myself. Maybe things are going to work out just fine.