Part 3

Man, it's hot! Five more minutes, just five more and I can leave. As long as I know, no one else is at the house, would it be so wrong of me if I took off my T-shirt? I stop the lawn mower and pull the sweaty piece of clothing up and over my head. Better? No, not really. 

"You're hot."

I get startled and turn around to see Stevie. She's wearing a tiny red bikini, a towel over her arm and sunglasses on the top of her head. 

"I mean, it's a hot day. Can I get you a drink?" Stevie says, when I fail to speak a word. 

"Uh..." I swallow hard, trying my best not to stare. "Yes, please."

Stevie heads back inside the house, returning shortly with a bottle of water in one hand. I take the drink, which I'm actually really thankful for. She stares at me as I uncap the bottle and gulp down half of it.

"Thank you." I say.

"Anything else you need from me? Anything?" A hand on her hip, she asks. 

"Uh, no. I don't think so." I shake my head and restart the lawn mower to finish my day's work. 

First Melanie, now Stevie? Am I dreaming or is she actually hitting on me? I mean, I wouldn't turn down a girl her age, that's a definite boost to my ego, but she's the daughter of my employer. I don't think Jerry would appreciate me getting comfortable between his daughter's legs. She's turning twenty one in about a week, I heard her making plans on the phone, so that's my guess and I'm thirty six. Yeah, I don't think so.

Ten or so minutes later, I'm all done. I grab my dirty T-shirt and wipe my face. I risk, glancing at Stevie on one of the loungers and our eyes meet. One leg bent at the knee, she stares at me, half sitting up, while drinking from a glass of what I assume is iced tea. Actually, I think she's just sucking on the straw. How on earth did I get myself involved in this. Oh, right, thanks Terry!

"You're not married." Stevie says as I'm pushing the lawn mower across the backyard to the garage. 

"No, I'm not. How did you know?" I stop to reply.

"You're not wearing a wedding ring." She shrugs, putting her empty glass down. "Do you have a girlfriend?"

"Why, are you interested?" I fold my arms over my chest. I probably shouldn't have asked that.

"Maybe." She gives another shrug of her shoulders, smirking at me. "I've always liked older men. How old are you anyway, like thirty?" Stevie asks, crossing her legs at the ankles.

"I'm flattered." I grin, revealing my true age. "I don't think your father would like it if he knew we were talking."

She scoffs, rolling her eyes. "My father. He's too busy planning the wedding with Melanie. That gold digging whore." My eyes grow wide, I don't know how to respond. "I don't want my Dad to get hurt, but I hope he walks in on her with her personal trainer. He's blinded by love." Stevie laughs harshly. 

"You're not a big fan of Melanie, huh?"

"God no! And whatever she says, I know she hates me, because I stand up to her. She's not my mother and I let her know that every chance I get." Stevie tells me and that flirtatious side of her disappears. 

"May I ask, where is your Mom?"

"Passed away..." Stevie places her sunglasses on the bridge of her nose and turns her head, staring straight ahead. 

"I'm so sorry, I shouldn't have-"

"It's fine." She says, but I don't think it is.

I shift my weight from one leg to another uncomfortably. I hate to leave her alone and upset, but this surely isn't my place to do anything else. 

"You seem nice." Stevie speaks up again after a minute. "You're not like every other man, who's worked for us before."

"What do you mean?" My eyebrows slightly crease.

"I don't really appreciate strangers gawking at me, while I try and relax by the pool."

Oh. So, maybe I misread the signals. Of course she's not interested in me, she just wanted to have a conversation. Why would she be interested in me? Idiot! I think this is my cue to leave.

"Right. I'll be on my way then." I tip my head at Stevie, saying goodbye. "You don't have to worry about a stranger gawking at you." I wink, smiling at her.

Stevie chuckles lowly and gives me a small wave.

God, she's gorgeous...