Part 12

With a cup of coffee in hand I walk out on the balcony in my bedroom. It overlooks the backyard, but my eyes are focused on Lindsey. He only arrived about half an hour ago, so he's not hot enough to get half-naked, which is disappointing. I wish I could sit here until he does, but it might become suspicious. 

Whatever is going on between us, it's exciting. However, we've got to be careful. My Dad cannot find out about our relationship for Lindsey's sake. I wouldn't want him to lose his job because of me. But we did talk about it, he doesn't want to stay here too long and I get that. He's even got an interview for an office job, which is better I'm sure. It's not what he wants, but he'd earn more than he does working for my Dad. There's also a part of me that's terrified. What if he quits and I never see him again? I'd hope we could no longer date in secret, but you never know. Maybe I'm just a toy to pass the time for him. 

Once I finish my cup, I sigh, getting up to my feet as I go back inside my room. I walk out of the bedroom and go downstairs for breakfast. I see Melanie's at the table, a plateful of cut up fruit in front of her. I guess, she's sticking to the healthy eating plan her trainer created. Surely, she's not doing it for my Dad, it's for that boy toy.

I'm not in the mood to argue with her, so I keep my mouth shut while I prepare myself a meal. I can feel her eyes burning into the back of my head, but I still don't say anything. But she does.

"Is he any good?" 

I frown, looking at her over my shoulder. "What are you talking about?"

"Lindsey." Melanie shrugs, sipping orange juice. "I know you two are fucking."

"That's one way to speak to the daughter of your fiance." I say calmly, hoping she'd drop it.

"You can't fool me, Stephanie." She insists on calling me that, because she knows it bothers the hell out of me. "Your father wouldn't like that very much."

"There's nothing going on between me and Lindsey." I tell her, making myself scrambled eggs. 

"Oh, really?" She asks and the sound of her voice makes me believe she does know something. "I've heard you speaking on the phone with him every night. Or do you know another Lindsey?"

"You're eavesdropping?" 

"I was passing by your room." I see Melanie shrug her shoulders as I walk to the table with a plate in one hand and a fork in the other. 

"Every night?" I sit down on the opposite side of the table. 

"I also heard something similar to a moaning sound, followed by, oh Linds." A vicious smile crosses her lips and I gulp. 

I didn't plan on having phone sex with Lindsey, but it sort of... happened. I didn't realize I was being loud enough for this snake to hear me. "You must be mistaken." 

"So, it wasn't Lindsey's car parked outside the gates, late, every other night of the week then either? I saw you get in it, Stephanie."

"Stop calling me that." I try to divert her attention, but the look on her face tells me she's convinced. "You're not really the one to talk, Mel. How's that personal trainer of yours doing? Is he any good?" I ask the same question she asked me and she shifts in her seat. "Maybe we should swap and compare?" That's the last thing I want, but maybe that will shut her up.

"If I tell Jerry about you and the gardener, he'll be so pissed off at you, he won't even hear when you tell him about me and Todd."

"Let's try and see, shall we?" I lost my appetite. I stand up and throw the leftovers into the bin, placing the empty plate into the sink.

Then Lindsey comes in, politely greeting us both. He fills up a glass of water and gulps it down. He's on his way to leave the kitchen, but Melanie speaks up before he does. "I'm sure you like that young pussy, but trust me, Stephanie's opened her legs for so many guys, you might catch something. Careful."

Lindsey's eyes grow wide and he's shocked at what just came out of Melanie's mouth. And I want to slap that bitch across the face. Before any of us can say something, I hear my father's voice behind me.

"What are you talking about, Melanie?" My Dad's eyebrows are furrowed and he looks angry. "Stevie?" His eyes are on me. "Will someone explain to me what's going on here?"