Part 2

Why did I put this leather jacket on? I'm nervous, it's hot and I'm sweating like a pig. I should probably get out of the car already, I've been sitting in the Nicks' driveway for a few minutes. They'll start thinking something's wrong.

Taking a deep breath, I open the driver's side door and climb out, straightening the stupid jacket on my way to the front door. As I do so, I look around quickly. This is a nice neighborhood. I'm sure people living on this street would love a criminal around their kids. I plan on keeping that information to myself for the time being, because I need this job. It doesn't pay much, but after I said goodbye to Terry the other night, I came home to another threatening letter - if I don't pay my rent until the end of the week, I'm going to be evicted, so I'm going to pretend this is the greatest opportunity that's come my way.

I ring the doorbell and wait for a moment. Shortly, a brightly smiling woman greets me. I smile politely back at her and shake her hand. She introduces herself as Melanie and that's the hot fiancee Terry mentioned, I'm guessing. If that's the case, then our taste in women differs greatly.

"I'm sorry, but Jerry isn't here at the moment. He's got some errands to run, but he trusts me." Okay, not sure if I needed to know that. "Would you like some lemonade I just made?"

"N- sure, thank you." I change my mind, I don't want to seem rude. "You have a beautiful house." I say, following Melanie to the kitchen.

"It's Jerry's, my fiance's. I moved in here, when we started dating three years ago." She sure likes sharing things with people she's just met. "It was decorated already, I wish I could have helped. I have a pretty good eye for these things. The garden is all me though!" Melanie beams, handing me a glass of lemonade. "Which is why you're here. I just don't have the time to take care of everything. I'm so busy with my gallery!"

Man, this woman is really extra. I honestly don't care what she does in her spare time or is that her job? What does she even do with her gallery?

"So, how do you know Terry?" Melanie asks, changing the subject completely as she takes me out into the backyard.

"Oh, well, we've been friends since childhood. He wants to help me out." I shrug. "Life hasn't been easy lately." I hope she doesn't ask anything.

She places her hand on my forearm. "I'm so sorry to hear that."

I suddenly feel very uncomfortable. "So, uh, what does this job include then?"

"Right!" She claps her hands together. "It's nothing you can't handle, I'm sure." She gives me a smile and I try not to frown. Seriously, this woman is like fifteen years older than me.

Melanie proceeds talking about basic tasks that I would have to do and she's right, it's nothing I can't handle. Apparently, gardeners clean out pools these days as well. She also tells me about various kinds of roses she's got growing in her garden and how difficult it is to get them, but she knows people. Jerry must really love this woman if he puts up with her.

"When can you start?"

"I got the job?" I ask, slightly surprised. This was almost too easy; I drank some lemonade, answered a few questions, walked around the backyard of a rich people's house and nodded my head, pretending to listen to Melanie babble. 

"If you still want it." Melanie shrugs, folding her arms over her chest.

"I do, yes of course!" I say, nodding my head. "I can start tomorrow if you like."

"How about next week? I think, Jerry will want to meet with you or at least talk to you over the phone." I thought, he trusts her. "Alright?"

"Fine." I say and walk behind her back inside the house.

"Mel, I'm going out!" I hear another female voice. "Oh, I didn't know we have guests."

Uh-oh. I can't look away. A petite blonde, wearing a crop top and denim shorts, which show off her nice curvaceous figure, stands in front of me and I gulp. She's staring right back at me, half-smiling as she holds out her hand.

"I'm Stevie."

"Nice to meet you, I'm Lindsey." I shake her hand, pulling away quickly. "I'll be working for your parents."

Stevie laughs, shaking her head. "She's not my mother. See you around, I guess." Swinging her bag over her shoulder, Stevie walks out the front door.

I instantly sense a change in Melanie's mood. "I'm sorry about that. Stephanie is Jerry's daughter. She's a troublemaker, a spoiled little brat if you ask me. She's going to be twenty one in a couple of months, but she still lives with us. Jerry just can't say no to her." Melanie rolls her eyes. The two women clearly don't get along.

At least I know that Stevie isn't a minor. Wait, what? Why would that even cross my mind?