Part 9

I'm looking through my contacts list, trying to find Lindsey's number and when I do, I press the call button, waiting for him to pick up. I've had it with that bitch Melanie. Dad's away for a few days, so she thinks she can tell me how to live my life. First thing in the morning she told me I dress like a slut, I wear too much makeup and I don't act like a lady. She's the last person to lecture me about any of it.

"Can we see each other?" I speak up, without even saying hello.

"Stevie, are you okay?"

"I will be if I see you." 

"I'm not sure it's a good time right now. In the evening maybe?"

"What, you've got a woman at your place?"

"No, I'm spending time with my son."

I apologize for accusing him and ask nicely instead if I could come see him anyway. Lindsey hesitates, but gives in. I write down his address and hang up, calling myself a cab. I quickly change, grab my bag and I'm on my way out. Melanie questions me, asking where I'm headed to, but I ignore her completely and leave.

I pay the cab driver for the ride and get out of the car. It's not the nicest looking apartment building, but I don't really care. I go inside and hope that I end up in front of the right door. Seconds only pass, when Lindsey opens the door and I don't hold back, hugging him close.

"Hey, are you alright?" Lindsey pulls back slightly, running his fingers through my tousled hair.

"My soon to be step mother." That's all I say and he understands, showing me to enter his home.

Lindsey's apartment is nowhere near as luxurious as is our house, but it doesn't bother me much. Sure, I enjoy the lifestyle my Dad's given me, but it wouldn't be a nightmare if I had to live in different conditions. As long as I'm with someone I love.

Taking me by the hand Lindsey walks us to the living room. A little boy, who I assume is his son, is sitting on the floor with car toys everywhere. I take one look at the child and it's clear as day, Lindsey is definitely his father. The boy has light brown curls and the same blue eyes.

"Hey, buddy." Lindsey kneels in front of his boy. "I want you to meet someone."

I suddenly feel nervous, what if he doesn't like me? I get down on my knees too and smile, holding out my hand. "I'm Stevie. What's your name?"

"Harry." He says shyly, moving to sit in Lindsey's lap. "You're pretty."

"Thank you." My smile grows wider. 

We spend about an hour playing on the floor and it goes really well. Harry shows me all his different toys and I compliment every piece, attempting to use them in the right manner. I've never had boys' toys while growing up. I catch Lindsey occasionally looking at me and his son. He did say he wanted more kids and I feel a wave of pressure wash over me. Which is silly, we've only went out a couple of times.

The doorbell rings and Lindsey jumps to his feet to open it. I hear a woman's voice and I guess that's Farrah. I'm afraid to meet her. I stand up as well, brushing my skirt from creases. 

"You saved me! I had so many errands to run and- oh, hello." The woman is tall and skinny, the size of her breasts stands out to me immediately as well as her seemingly flawless luscious hair. "You hired a baby sitter, Linds?"

"Uh, no..." He shakes his head, coming to stand beside me. "This is Stevie, she's my- my friend." 

A friend, right. Okay. 

"I'm Farrah, Lindsey's ex girlfriend and the mother of his child." She emphasizes her importance in Lindsey's life.

A couple of awkward minutes later, Farrah and Harry leave. Suddenly, it's uncomfortable. We haven't put any label on our relationship yet, but it does bother me that Lindsey introduced me as his friend.

"What's up?" He asks, feeling I'm not okay.

"I'm just your friend?" I fold my arms and he approaches me, placing his hands on my shoulders. 

"Please, don't be upset. I should have told her, you're my girlfriend, but I just hadn't thought about this moment yet, so I kind of froze. I'm sorry." Lindsey apologizes, tilting my chin up with his finger. "I'm sorry." He repeats.

"I'm your girlfriend?" I ask, a small smile crossing my lips. "I can't recall you asking me."

"I- I uh..." He struggles for words.

I uncross my arms and wrap them around his neck. "Relax. I would love to be your girlfriend. And soon hopefully not a secret one."