A Night Out. Part Two

Chapter Thirty Six

And no wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light.

2 Corinthians 11:14

Denny reached forward to prise Cain’s fingers away from my arm, and I was amazed to see how easily he was able to do it.

“You owe me money,” Denny accused Cain, prodding a heavy finger into his chest. “But, unlike Will, I won’t target the girl.” His words left no room for argument: Cain would pay, or Denny would find some other form of payment.

“I’m sure we can come to some sort of agreement,” Cain backed away slowly, bumping through the group of couples on the dance floor. Then, he abruptly spun on his heel and high-tailed it out of the bar. Denny followed slowly, determinedly; his gaze never leaving Cain’s trail.

Around me, I saw Vanessa dancing with Nate, and Tasha with some random guy’s tongue down her throat. Arielle danced alone, oblivious to anything but the music and the beat. I glanced back at the table and, seeing it was now empty, I felt brave enough to return. I’d just made myself comfortable on the stood when a shadow fell across the table. I turned around, half-expecting to see Denny or some stranger with a pick-up line, but the person standing there was much worse.

“I just went to get more drinks,” Lucien explained, holding a glass of red wine and some kind of clear alcohol, with a blue tint to it.

“Oh, it’s okay,” I excused myself, as he placed the blue drink in front of me. “I was just taking a breather.”

He nodded, understanding, and a pause ensued.

“So, your boyfriend seems like a keeper,” Lucien said dryly. He took a sip of the red wine, staring at me thoughtfully.

I glared at him. “The last person who can give me dating advice is you.” I sneered.

He shrugged. “I’m just trying to make conversation – I didn’t mean anything by it.”

“Sure,” I retorted. “For the record, I neither want nor need your judgement.”

“That’s fine by me,” he leaned back in his seat.

Another pause.

“Oh, and just for your information,” I added, unable to hold back my anger: “Cain has been there for me as far back as I can remember.”

Lucien raised his eyebrows wearily. “You want to know what I think; the honest truth?”

I gave a long, mournful sigh, ending with an exhausted: “No.”

Lucien’s lips quirked up in a smile I couldn’t help but imitate. “I think you’re just making excuses for why you should be with him. He doesn’t deserve you, Mercy.”

I snorted, running my fingers along the edge of the table. His words had made me feel uncomfortable – I hadn’t expected that. “Most say I don’t deserve him.”

“I’m not most,” Lucien reminded me. “Besides, I think that’s how you’ve managed to guilt yourself into staying with him.

I shook my head determinedly. Deciding I couldn’t take any more of his blasphemous suggestions, I stood quickly, avoiding eye contact.

Lucien gripped my hand quickly when I almost fell over my heels, in a fruitless attempt to get away from him. Okay, maybe he wasn’t completely lacking in the noble department.