Injured

CHAPTER TEN

Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him.

James 1:12

My room smelt a little funny when I woke up the next morning, but perhaps I was hypersensitive to the fact that I’d been smoking in there. The smell shouldn’t have hung around that long – I’d only had two cigarettes before I fell into a comfortable sleep.

The smell hadn’t faded after I’d had my shower, so I opened a window and sprayed the room with air freshener, before getting dressed for school.

I kept my hair down in a futile attempt to hide some of the bruises on my face and neck. There was little I could do about the cut on my cheek. Vainly, I tried to cover it with some of Susana’s makeup, but nothing seemed to work. The concealer looked too beige on my pale skin, while foundation only smeared over the blue and black, while doing nothing to hide it. Besides, applying it hurt too much anyway; they were so sensitive even the lightest touch made me flinch in pain.

Grabbing my phone, I asked the internet how long I would look like something needing charity support.

About two weeks, came the immediate answer, followed by the small print: some bruises can last months…

I sighed and set about covering the rest of me. I elected a light green jumper, with sleeves long enough to cover the marks on my arm and most of my hands. For good measure, I took a white pashmina to hide my chest and neck, and slowly pulled my navy skinny jeans up my legs. My entire body ached; each time I breathed my ribcage felt like it might break.

I came down to breakfast avoiding eye contact with any of the guests I encountered on the way. I tried to ignore the shocked expressions as I passed them – the first few were disturbing, but they became more and more comic as I grew used to it.

I didn’t speak a word, amid their gawking, as I helped myself to bacon from the breakfast buffet and sat down at one of the tables.

It’s only going to get worse, I told myself. Nobody will leave me in peace. There’s going to be questions, staring and judging. Never mind that it’s none of their goddamn business. Just… keep calm.

“Morning,” I said, as civilly as I could as Debra slammed the toast rack onto the table. My efforts received a grunt and an icy glare as my foster mother filled my glass with orange juice. She then stormed off, leaving me to eat breakfast in peace.

What irritated me most about this was that it hadn’t been Cain’s fault. I couldn’t even tell Debra who the real culprit was without making it worse. She would demand to know everything, and I’d find myself digging in a bottomless pit.

It’s not like she would have believe me, anyway. She already thought Cain was scum – albeit scum with a rich father – and if she wanted to believe I was in an abusive relationship, then she would believe that, not the truth.

Debra continued her silent treatment as she drove me and Susana to school. I sat in the back of the car, staring out of the window as Susana tried fruitlessly to engage her mother in conversation.

When I was younger, I’d gone to Hale Cross Primary, like Susana and Cain. In year seven to year nine, I’d stayed with Cain in Hale Cross Secondary. At the end of year nine, after the Rosen family had kicked me out and I moved in with the Isaacs, Debra decided it would be easier if Susana and I attended the same school. Personally, I’d had preferred if they just let me stay with Cain.