Chapter 5

Kristine

"So... Hindi na pala ako ang number one boy ng number one girl ko?"

"Huh?"

"Ate said you have a boyfriend."

"Yeah. I think you'll like him."

"I don't think I'll like any boy who's going around you but okay." I chuckled.

"Nope. You have to like him. Everyone in this family doesn't like him already. So you have to like him. He makes me feel very special. I felt so out of place here, the first six months, but when I met him, everything fell into place. Javi helped me cope with life here."

I didn't mind the mocking look my brother has on his face caused by the cheesy words and dreamy tone I used as I talked about Javi. I just kept my chin nestled on my tucked knees, remembering all the wonderful memories we made these past months. It usually gets me all giddy but now it just gets the butterflies in my stomach to turn. I thought my butterflies are only for whenever he's close but now I see it can also be for when I am far away from him.

"Can I meet him?" He asked and from my feet, I turned my gaze to him.

"I don't think that's possible."

He didn't say a word but the questions in his mind is written on his ever-expressive face. I released a heavy breath and explained.

"Mom and dad forbade me to see him."

"Right. Of course. They wouldn't let you near any of the Vinceros."

"Excuse me?"

Does he know something that I don't? Paano niya nalaman na ayaw ni Daddy kay Javi because of...

"Kuya, ano ba talaga ang nangyari? What happened between Dad and Javi's Dad? Bakit ang laki ng galit nila sa isa't-isa to the point that they're willing to hurt us both?"

"Ego, money, pride... take your pick. And don't you say that about dad. He loves you. The last thing he'd want to do is hurt the princess of the family."

"Ego, money, and pride? That's it? And if he doesn't want to hurt me then why the hell would he do this to me?"

"Yes. You know, if you would pay attention and get involved in Lolo's winery, the world that you, Ats, and I are going to be running eventually, you would know the answers to your questions."

That sounds interesting. And this business has been passed on to each generation. We're next in line. I have other plans though. I haven't told anyone yet but I have been thinking of getting a medical allied program in college and eventually proceeding to med... kung kakayanin ko. If not, I'll be happy na ipursue yung career ko from my program and work inside a hospital. Just like Dad.

"Do you think it would be okay if I take on another course?" Literally.

"What do you mean?"

"Do you think I could maybe stray far from the path of the business world and get a degree in something similar to Dad's?"

"You want to be a doctor? Where the hell did that come from?" Kuy laughed and hit me with a pillow.

"I've been thinking about it. This being my last year in high school and all... finally."

"I think that would be great. You're gonna do so much good in that field."

"You don't think it would open up wounds?... from the past..." I asked skeptically and watched my brother's face turn blank. He's probably weighing the possibilities too.