Chapter 1

Third Person's POV

It's a wonderful sparkling December night. The ballroom is packed. The room smelt of expensive perfumes, cigar smoke, brandy, and luxury. Well-groomed men in tuxes or three-piece suits fed the eyes of the women whose full-length dresses swayed as they walked from table to table with their fair share of gossips. Socialites danced and took advantage of the open bar. Businessmen took the opportunity to mingle with friends, talking about their old ventures and new. This for sure would top the list of the most talked-about year-ender events and the Noens Inc, the people who are behind all of this, could not be happier. Not only did they separate their party from all the other lavish social gatherings by auctioning old and rare wines for a cause, they also launched their new brandy tonight and it is an absolute success.

Everybody seems to be enjoying the night the Noens people had arranged but outside the ballroom's giant glass doors, greets an impeccable view of the garden glistening with tens of thousands of tiny Christmas bulbs, a young lady in her white dress sits under a dark gazebo with two plateful of cookies, mini cakes, macarons and creampuffs she had collected at the gorgeous dessert table, preferring the silence and the sight of the garden to the crowded ballroom, fake smiles, and competitive conversations.

"I miss Italy." She thought as she chewed on a walnut cookie.

She knows her mother would be upset with her once she learns about her ditching the party. It is also not a limit to her knowledge that her mother would be furious if she'll find out about the contents of the plates she had sneaked out. That is why she better finish everything and leave no evidence.

The soothing sound of the trees dancing in the wind occupied the silence. Two seconds later, she felt the Christmas breeze tickle her nape. She closed her eyes, breathed deeply and imagined the scent of the knoll that she loved. She remembered the flowers that surrounded and gave life to their house. A house made up of stone and wood, the old music playing from her grandmother's vinyl player, and the huge window in her bedroom that has got the perfect view of her grandfather's vineyard. But what she loved best other than the beautiful house and having her grandparents around, isolation. Malayo sa city ang bahay nila. It was like living in the middle of nowhere. It certainly is the quietest place and she thought it was perfect. Other people may picture living on top of that hill as torture but to Kristine, it was paradise.

Meanwhile, back inside the ballroom, a young man in a tuxedo -a tuxedo that his sister had picked out for him- has begun earning a number of stink eyes. Napapansin na kasi ng mga tao na nakakakilala o nagtratrabaho para sa Noens na hindi niya iniinom ang brandy na binigay sa kanya.

Yung unang glass niya, siya pa mismo ang kumuha. He thought, why not give it a try. It certainly is the reason for the party. But when he took a whiff and a sip of the alcohol, it burned his mouth and his throat. He wanted to spit it out. He obligated himself to down his first glass because the beautiful Princess Noens, the daughter of Heraldo Noens, is in front of him. Javi swore to never get a second-round but after feeding Princess a fake review, she personally poured him another glass. He then excused himself, took his second glass with him, and made a beeline to the restroom. Doon niya inubos - tinapon - yung alak na hawak niya.

"Just a few more hours. Hang in there... Ang gwapo mo." He clicked his tongue and winked at his own reflection and fixed his bowtie.

The young man was so concentrated on getting rid of the nasty poison in his glass, he didn't realize that he was not alone in the men's room. Javi awkwardly smiled and nodded but the old man showed the seemingly vain and shallow young man no respect. The old man gave him a look and headed towards the door.