9. The Black Maze

Start from the beginning

"Now, let's eat our sandwiches before the cheese gets dry."

"Cheese, this contains cheese," said Rachel examining the sandwich as if it was a dangerous species.

"Yes, mine is double. Yours is just half."

"Double? Are you kidding me? We just had pizza yesterday. Our fat intake for this week is over."

"Rachel, mom is not home for a week and I want to eat all the cheese in the world," winked Anikaa and dug into her sandwich.

Rachel sighed impatiently.

"Oh! I forgot....Mr. Millaha called half an hour ago. He was asking if you would like to visit his farm today. Just to catch up," said Rachel putting her sandwich back in the plate.

"Yes, Rachel I will."

"You will, but you wanted to paint right."

"Yes, but now I want to see Bluestar. It's been a long time. I don't want him to forget me."

"Oh, he won't. Animals have excellent memories. Besides, he only allows you to ride his back," chuckled Rachel.

After a quick breakfast, Anikaa skipped the painting and went straight to Millaha's farms.

Milan Millaha was the biggest rancher in India. His father was a small farmer and Milan learned everything about agriculture and farming from him. However, Milan was also gifted with business acumen. After coming of age, he extended his father's small farm to big ranches and diversed to organic farming techniques. He owned several farm houses and nature resorts in India and used to breed cattle and horses for racing. Anikaa and Milan met through Rustom and instantly struck a chord for their common love of nature and animals.

As Anikaa's car entered the huge wooden gates, she was greeted with the familiar grinning, plump face of Milan.

"Look who's here, Guran? Our bear, dear friend Anikaa," roared Milan.

Guran was Milan's man servant who had been living with him since his childhood. He was his secretary-friend- keeper- head servant-everything. He was a middle-aged man, swarthy and thin. He was vegetarian but loved cooking non-vegetarian dishes with his special bag of indigenous spices which he never shared with anyone.

Anikaa rushed out of the car and gave Milan a warm hug.

"Whoa, you look like a teddy Milan. I see your cheeks are getting redder day by day," said Anikaa.

"Well, it must be the apples that I got from Himachal, one of the best I receive this season," said Milan cheerfully.

"O here comes Rachel. How are you young girl? You seem to lost weight," said Milan hugging Rachel who leisurely got out of the car holding her Ipad, mobile phone and handbag.

"Yes, she was sneezing all day, day before yesterday and lost a thousand calories," winked Anikaa and Milan roared with laughter.

"Ha-ha...how I missed you! It's great to see you two again," relished Milan.

Anikaa looked at same old Milan- tall, plump with laughing eyes. He was single and never been married. His cheeks were always red due to sunlight or some pollen allergy and Anikaa teased him for it. But, she adored him for his candid and compassionate nature.

"I hope you guys are hungry, Guran has prepared his trademark meat curry and tangdi kebab for you," said Milan taking them to his bungalow.

"I don't know about Rachel, but I am always hungry for good food," said Anikaa.