"What?" Jake said, very quietly.

"I said, I'm sorry I lied to you." I repeated. "In fact, I've lied to you a lot recently, because some weird shit has been going on in my life. I know you've noticed things that seemed a little strange. The card catching thing you recorded. The other voice in the kitchen."

"You mean, there was something up with you in that video?" He asked.

I nodded.

"And there was someone else in the kitchen? And in your room?"

I nodded again. "Yeah." I pursed my lips together.

Then, Jake sighed very heftily. He ran his hands over his face, and then... smiled. He actually smiled, and then laughed. "Oh, thank fuck for that!" He exclaimed, seemingly shocked.

I wasn't sure how to react, so I sat there looking at him for a moment.

"You know, I thought I was going completely mad?" Jake continued. "I thought I was seeing things and thinking some stupid explanations, just to try and make sense of it all. And now, I can make sense of it!" He then looked at me. "I mean, you can make sense of it, right?"

I chuckled a little. "I can try. Although, a lot of it probably won't make sense at first. You just need to bare with me. Can you do that?"

Jake nodded. "I think so." He said.

"Okay." I said, and I began.

__________

"So you remember the night I was stabbed?" I thought I may as well start from the very beginning.

Jake nodded.

"Well, it wasn't really an accident." I continued. "The guy you saw at the park, it was actually him that stabbed me." I paused. "Sort of."

"I thought it was that crazy old man?" Jake asked. "I mean, I saw it. I was there."

"Yeah, it was." I said. "But technically he was being controlled by Ronan. The guy you saw earlier."

"So you got stabbed by a mad man being controlled by another mad man?"

I chuckled. "I guess so. But the knife I was stabbed with wasn't just an ordinary knife. It was made from something called Black Prometheum, a powerful metal. It's what gives us... abilities." I looked at Jake, not sure how he would react to the mention of abilities, despite what he'd seen.

"Abilities?" He questioned.

"Yes."

"You mean, like walking through gates and teleporting?"

I nodded. "Sort of." I said. I could tell Jake was doing his best to take it all in. "We're called Argent Eyes."

Jake looked at me then. "When I asked you going back whether you'd always had heterochromia, you were lying, weren't you?"

"Um, yeah." I said.

"I knew it!" He exclaimed. "I swear I would have noticed it before. I guess that's where the name is from, right?"

I nodded. "Basically, when a potential Argent is exposed to Black Prometheum, they gain an elemental ability. It means they can control the element the Prometheum gives them."

"Right." Jake said, thinking. "What element does Ronan have? I saw him teleport."

"Ronan isn't an Argent Eye." I said. "He's a Dreamwalker, assigned to an Argent to help them learn to control their abilities. It's their job to seek out potentials and do what needs to be done."