27

"She's going to be okay, isn't she?"

I was laying down on something soft, with a blanket over me. I had my eyes closed, and for a while I just listened to the conversation taking place in the room.

"Yes, sweet, she will be fine." I heard Stella say softly.

"It's been two hours." Jacob said worriedly. "When will she wake up?"

I decided then to try and open my eyes- it felt like they were glued shut, like what happened when you'd been in a deep sleep and were woken by an alarm. Still, I forced them open, blinked a few times, and realised I was laying on a sofa in Stella's living room.

"Hey guys." I murmured, my voice croaky and dry.

Everyone quickly turned to face me- Jacob, Stella, Phil and Ronan.

"Millie!" Jacob exclaimed. "You're awake!" He looked very happy to see me awake.

"What happened?" I asked, my memories very hazy at this moment in time.

"You don't remember?" Stella asked.

I frowned, and then realised. The memories all came flooding back to me, and I remembered. I remembered my bones being crushed under the roots, and the dirt filling my mouth and suffocating me and then...

Then it happened. Before the earth could take me, it saved me.

I groaned. "Ah." I said. "I remember." I rubbed the sleep out my eyes, and sat up, my body feeling very stiff.

"Here." Ronan handed me a glass of water, which I took gratefully and downed in one. I then noticed my arms- they were blue and purple, completely covered in bruises.

Stella must have seen me looking. "It seems the light healed your broken bones, but you were too exhausted to finish the job."

"Can I help?" Jacob asked, looking at my sore arms. I pictured my whole body to be like it, and dreaded what my face looked like.

I nodded, as Jacob gently took my arm in his hands. Then, a soft green light began to glow there and seemed to travel through my arm and body. I sighed, the soft warmth of the earth making its way over my arms and legs and face, receiving the pain and stiffness I'd been feeling.

I hadn't realised I'd closed my eyes until I opened them, and smiled when I noticed all the bruises had gone.

"Thank you." I grinned, and he smiled too when he realised what a good thing he'd done.

"Jacob has a knack for harnessing the healing properties of the earth." Stella said. "More so than I've seen in anyone before."

"That is impressive." Ronan said, making Jacob flush with the complements.

"So the all important question." Phil said. "Did it work?"

I nodded. "I think so."

I had to admit, I felt very different. A lot different than I did when I manifested the lightning and the air. Both mentally and physically, I felt stronger. The scent of the flowers in the room was definitely more poignant, too.

There was a knock at the door then, and so Stella went to answer it. I couldn't help but overhear the conversation taking place.

"Oh, hello Kathy." Stella said. "Everything alright?"

"Well, I could ask you the same thing, Stella." An elderly woman, who I guessed was Kathy, said. Her voice was full of concern. "I thought I heard a tremendous amount of screaming just now, and it sounded as if it were coming from your garden."