Chapter 47 The truth behind the lie

Start from the beginning

She held Loukios closer to her. At least she still had her son. She kissed the boy's golden locks. At least he was too young to understand.

"Iason," Iolaus had approached the young soldier and spoke to him quietly. "Vara is inside with lord Caius. Come, join us while we wait." He placed a hand on Iason's shoulder and steered him to the side.

Ariane averted her head to hide the tears. Vara, who had been kind to her from the moment Ariane had arrived at court, who had helped her adjust to life in Zeir, pointed out who she could trust and who to be wary of. Vara, who apparently couldn't be trusted herself.

Was that why she had scorned all her suitors?

Ariane sighed sadly. If Cyrus loved Vara then she could never compete. She wasn't like Vara. They were two completely different people.

The door to the bedroom opened again and Vara rejoined them. Tears were running down her face freely, though she did not make a sound.

With a few steps, Iason was next to her and folded her into a tight embrace, but Ariane hadn't missed the fact that Cyrus had also stood up.

"Vara?" king Marcos questioned gently.

Vara took a deep breath and untangled herself from Iason. She wiped her eyes and looked at the king. "He is ready. It is time."

...

"Do you think they'll send aid?" Eloni looked at her sister with a worried expression on her face. Riders had been sent out that morning to Boncini in Zeir.

Elora smiled comforting. "It is my understanding Boncini is lady Vara's holding. She is sister to prince Cyrus. Aside from that, Zeir is our ally. They'll send aid. As soon as the soldiers arrive at Salvire, father's men can go home."

"I hope so," Eloni sighed, "I am worried. We haven't had much trouble with Balor before, aside from the occasional raid at the border."

"Yes," Elora nodded, "but now father has allied with Tirèze. And Tirèze is ally to Zeir whom Balor are at war with. I suppose it was only a matter of time before they'd turn to Lavos." She smiled at her sister. "We can handle this. Balor is only one nation. They are trying to pick a fight with three of their neighbors at once. We will keep them at bay."

"You are right," Eloni said with confidence, "everything is going to be fine," She took a deep breath and smiled. "Enough talk of war. Let's focus on you. Have you decided on names yet?"

Elora shook her head. "Darius will name the child. It is custom here for the father to name the child, but I don't mind. I just want it to be healthy."

Eloni smiled sadly and longingly. She had longed for a child for a long time, but hadn't conceived yet. Byron kept assuring her it would come and there was no hurry, but she still wished to become a mother. "I envy you," she said quietly.

Elora grabbed her sister's hands and pressed them. "Don't despair. Your time will come, Eloni."

"I know," Eloni answered, "Byron says the same thing. Perhaps I am just impatient."

"Don't be," Elora said, "it will happen. Until then you can be a doting aunt to this little one."

Eloni smiled. "I'd be delighted."

...

They had gathered in the large sitting room. A servant was providing them with food and wine while the family discussed funeral arrangements. King Marcos and lady Eurydice were bent over a list of names of lords if the provinces. Riders would have to be sent out as soon as possible. Already the body was being cleaned and treated for preservation.