(7)Written with Blood and Ink

Start from the beginning

She remained silent, but shot him a pointed look, as if to say 'behave'. He didn't obey. "What other reason is there?"

"That's hurtful, Dolos." Thanatos said with a small smirk. "You don't think that we could be here to see how you are?"

"No." The younger brother said with hidden anger. It was slowly surfacing.

The foyer fell silent. Trita and I shot each other a look. This was expected, I guess, but I could see the other family members were slightly taken aback by Dolos' cranky behaviour. It came across like he was repelling against authority, and in this family, Thanatos and Hypnos were the highest power- or at least the highest power they wanted to listen to.

"Well, we are." Hypnos said curtly, but didn't stop there; "And yes, we are also here to see if we can help find what Moros has been up to and if he requires any help. Is that so evil?"

"Thee mou.." Dolos mumbled under his breath in annoyance. He looked to be around Eris and Eleos' age; young, but not younger than me or Trita. He looked at his sister, Apate, with darkened eyes; "I'm not in the mood for this."

He turned to leave, but Hemera wouldn't have it. "Dolos! Stamata simberifersou omorfa! Can we have a decent conversation for once before you lock yourself in your room again?"

The young man stopped and glared back over his shoulder. He flicked the dagger out of his pocket and stabbed it into the wooden table next to him, cracking through the hard surface with anger. He folded his arms and waited for Hemera to continue, but after a few seconds of her glowering at him, he scoffed at her. "Well? Talk."

"Do not speak to your sister like that." Thanatos growled and the rest of the household instantaneously stood still. Even Dolos, with his haughty attitude, stepped back and uncrossed his arms. They fell to his sides and he opened his mouth to defend himself, but Thanatos wasn't finished reprimanding him.

"Where are your manners? Greet our guests with some decency, if not for me or Hypnos, then for your family's sake!" Thanatos glared at his younger brother and shifted his eyes to Apate, his distaste now directed at her too.

She was startled. Her eyes quickly fell to mine. "My apologies. It was rude of me not to introduce myself. I am Apate, goddess of trickery. Welcome." She smiled thinly, but her eyes showed genuine warmth. It faded very quickly.

She nudged Dolos with her elbow and he cleared his throat. With a sudden grin he bowed; "Dolos, resident asshole. Oh wait; you've most likely met Eris. Then resident 'pain in the ass'. Welcome to a cold hell. Don't trust the warmth."

He left with a glare.

Thanatos gritted his teeth and Hypnos glowered after their brother with anger, but neither of them made a move to stop him from escaping to his room. Hemera sighed; "I'm so sorry for my brother's lack of... manners."

I shook my head with a small smile; "It's fine. He's probably tired from the hunt."

Apate narrowed her eyes at me; "You're nice?"

I paused for a moment and everyone in the room sort of froze too, half expecting Apate to smile and crack a joke, but she was seriously waiting for an answer. She even turned her eyes to Nemesis who was standing in the corner, watching. She didn't move or speak. Momus saw the perfect opportunity to break some of the ice.

"Indeed, an unfamiliar concept for you, dear sister?"

Apate didn't even look at him, but instead, just eyed me with suspicion. She furrowed her brows and looked at Thanatos with a strange expression on her face. Softly she asked; "She's doesn't act like mother?"