Chapter 19: Ming

"MingKwan we shouldn't be in here!" He yelled at me in a hushed tone. "Tsk. I don't know why I allowed you to drag me with you."

"Haha. Cause you were hungry too. Come on we have to keep going, before one of the caterers come back."

I pulled his hand and quickly ran through the door. We weren't supposed to be in the hallway... let alone the kitchen that the hall led to.

"Found it!" I looked at the refrigerator with determination. Luckily the room was all cleared out. Just like I had thought. The cooks and the caterers were all in the other room.

I opened the door and took out bowls and containers filled with food. "Quick P'Kat! Take what you want." I grabbed a few rolls and container filled with pasta.

Kit had glared at and me but still grabbed the fruit salad bowl. All of a sudden we heard a crack of the door. My reflexes kicked in at just the right moment and I managed to pull both me and kit down to hide behind the counter.

I held his hand with one hand, while the other kept hold of the food. I can see the feet of the person who had disrupted our food thieving mission. He was slowing walking toward the refrigerator. Likely confused as to why the previously clean kitchen had bowls and containers all over the counter.

I pulled Kit along the right side of the counter, in our squatted duck walking. The other guy was walking on the left side. As soon as we were on the other side we stood up and rushed out the door. The man yelled after us, but we didn't look back.

We ran like hell to the exit door at the end of the hallway. We stopped when we were on the other side of the building, huffing out air. I couldn't contain my laugh any longer and hysterical laughter escaped my lips.

"WHAT THE FUCK!!! MingKwan I swear!! If you don't stop laughing... you do realize we just stole food! My parents are going to kill me... your dad is going to kill you! Shit! And you're still laughing."

"I'm sorry P'. I couldn't help it. That was thrilling wasn't it? And hey! I solved our stomach grumbling problem."

"This is all your fault! You know that right?! First, you sneak us out of the building to go see the lake. Second, we missed when they served dinner. Third, you came up with the idea of sneaking leftover food from the kitchen. I hope your satisfied... you turned me into a criminal."

We were at a charity ball. I was so excited when I heard it was going to be near a lake. Even more so when I saw that Kit was there as well.

"We were hungry... I solved the problem. Our parents won't be leaving for at least 3 hours." A lot of the adults were drinking and dancing inside. "Come on P'. Eat. You're grumpy because you're starving. I'm sure you will be thanking me soon enough." I hand him the containers. He gulps and looks at the food hungrily.

"Doubtful. But... since we already took it... I'll eat. Did you ahh remember the utensils?" I took them out of my back pocket and handed it to him.

After we had our fill of food, we leaned against the building wall. I felt so content and happy that night. Kit never did thank me, but he handed me some of the fruit he took. I saw a blush on his face. He was clearly embarrassed, but wanted to show some kindness to me.

"Do you think our parents are going to be looking for us by now?"

"Nah, I don't think so. I don't really want to go back in yet."

The night before, my father had punished me for playing video games late in the night. My ass still hurt like hell every time I sat down. We weren't on talking terms. I wasn't going to come but my mother already purchased my outfit.