Chapter 45: Beam

Authors Note: Returning readers after my hiatus... start at Special chapter: Kit 😘 Now back to story!

What the hell am I even doing? Going on a joyride with Forth into the night. Have I lost my damn mind.

I walk ahead of Forth and stop at his bike. He hops on grabbing the helmet I always wear and motions for me to come closer. I put my hand out for him to hand it over, but he just smirks.

"I can do it myself, now. You know this."

"I do."

"Then?"

He puts my helmet on. "I like putting it on for you." My cheeks heat up, remembering the last time are faces were this close in proximity. I force myself to look away from him and he gears up the engine. Why am I suddenly remembering the time we kissed? That smile is cheating. "You coming still?"

"Umm." I hope on the back of his bike and hesitate before wrapping my hands around his waist.

"What? Has it been so long that you forgot where your hands go?" Forth asks. He grabs my hands and brings them to the front of him. I feel his abs against my clasped hands, and my body is brought flushed against his leather back. "This is wear your arms belong," he says in a low tone, holding my hands longer than preferable.

What the hell was that? 

If I didn't know better I would say Forth was flirting with me, but that's insane. The game is over. It ended the day my life fell apart, and I am barely getting back on my feet. I was doing just fine on my own. My friends were constantly on my ass all the time. In fact there were some days that I couldn't get rid of them, but I have to admit it warmed my heart to know they cared. I was planning to finally have a night out tonight. Go to the club or bar, and maybe get laid if possible. To let my stress out in the only way I knew how.

All it took for me to change my mind was hearing from Kit about this gear head hearing about Yo's feelings towards him. It didn't take long for my plans to completely change. I kept remembering the night I met Forth. He was drunk off his ass and I had to drag him back home with the help of his sister. I wanted to forget, but his heartbroken face kept popping up in my mind throughout the day.

That night when Forth left me with Kit really broke something in me. I don't know if it was because my emotions were already high, or because he witnessed something I never wanted anyone to see... But I wanted Forth to stay. For a brief moment of insanity, I thought I yearned for someone's attention. The next few weeks we avoided each other like the plague, and I was able to get his face out of my mind. 

However, the moment I heard he was somewhere hurting because he was about to get his heart broken again. I was reminded of all the times I mocked his feelings for the nong. I ended up coming home early from the study session. I just wanted to make sure he didn't go drinking alone again, and god forbid he drove his bike in that condition. That's all. It's not like I wanted to be the one to comfort him or anything. And it's not like I lingered around outside for a couple of hours waiting to hear his engine. No. Not at all... Ok, maybe I was a little more than worried about him. Like hell will I let him know I worry about him.

I can't believe the nerve of this guy. Here I was worried, but he has the gal to be perfectly fine. Well I don't know know about his emotional state. He's not drunk like I thought, was he putting up a front? Or was he really good at hiding it.

I was lost in my thoughts, when the familiar smell reached my nose. The smell of leather and mint grace my nose for the first time since that unfortunate day. The feel of the breeze against my face calms all my nerves. I lean my head against his back not caring how it may appear to him. Maybe I missed this big oaf more than I let on.