Chapter Ten-The Final Act

Chapter Ten–The Final Act

BROKEN ME

My heart hammered against my chest as the sound of the wedding march played in the background. The reality hasn’t sink in yet and everything felt like a dream. It was surreal. Like it was all a dream and I would wake up gasping for air. But you know what the funny thing is? I would always choose play this part of my life even if it means breaking my heart over and over again.

I shook my head to get rid of the negative thoughts. I need to think straight right now. I need to do this.

The Cathedral’s double doors creaked open revealing the rows and rows of invited guest, our family and closest friends. They all wore an excited and happy smile on their faces like there was nothing wrong.

And finally my eyes landed on the man standing before the altar. He was wearing the biggest smile when his eyes found mine. I smiled back at him. I’m happy and that’s a fact. Yet I know I've been trying to fool myself too.
He was holding a white hankerchief. Wiping the thin sheen of sweat that broke out in his pores.

I was slowly walking down the aisle, never breaking eye contact. Looking at him was like seeing the light for the very first time in eight months. It was refreshing and bewitching.

While I was walking towards him it felt like I am running through freedom yet here I am doing the exact opposite.

It’s been a month after his death and finally I found my peace. But I can’t deny the fact that it still hurts every time I think about him and all the ‘what if's' swirling inside my head.

After rereading his letter a thousand times or maybe more I realize that he accepted his fate whole heartedly. He knew it. So I plastered a sweet smile on my face as Alex holds my hand and whispered ‘I Love You' to me.

“We are gathered here today in the sight of God to celebrate one of life's greatest moments - The Joining of Two Hearts.

In this ceremony today we will witness the joining of Alex and Maria in marriage.” He cleared his throat then, continues

“If there is anyone present who has just ‘cause why this couple should not be united let them speak now or forever hold their peace.”

For a moment everything was silent then, the sounds of sirens and static suddenly played in the background as a video feed played on the wall of the cathedral.

Gasped and shouts of outrage broke out as chaos erupted. A hand painfully gripped my wrist, making me whimper yet in spite of the pain I smiled sweetly at him.

“It’s over, Love.” I brought my other hand on his cheek, caressing it lovingly.

“It’s done.” I whispered hoarsely as a lone tear slipped down on my cheek.

“You bitch! You did this?!” he screamed at my face as a cop walked towards us.

“I did.”

“Alexander Hemming, you're under arrest …” but everything stopped and blurred when a pain shot through my chest, making me gasped for air.

I looked at Alex’s hand and found him clutching a gun. Then, I brought my eyes up on his face. What I saw broke something inside me.

He loves me. That much I know.

Somehow I knew that what he felt and shown towards me was true.

But our love was doomed from the very start. It was love borne from greed and deception.

What Dave and I had was true and magical yet it’s to late now. We all made mistakes that brought us from where we are now.

Blurred swirling of colors and muffled shouts echoed around yet I know he was still looking at me.

‘I love you’ I mouthed at him before I fell into nothingness.