CHAPTER NINE- Breaking Point

CHAPTER NINE– Breaking Point

BROKEN ME

For the first time in after his death, I scrolled on the never ending unread text messages on my phone. There were plenty but there was only one name I’m hopelessly looking for. In the very bottom was a text message from my best friend. Dave.

‘Meet me on our place before 2pm. I want to show you something. Be careful. xx'

His last text.

But why?

The police never mentioned anything about this. Maybe he knew he was in danger, that we are in danger and deleted it on his phone and log history. I tried to remember the events that occurred that day. That was the day I and Alex announced our engagement on his family and I remembered him leaving me on his old room to rest.

Alex.

I changed on my clothes and leave my apartment in haste. In the eyes of the onlookers I was like an ordinary girl strolling in the park alone to pass the time.

I looked around one last time and entered the park's restricted area after popping open the cut barbed wire then, I expertly navigate my way through the never ending bushes and trees around the area but I knew better to fell for it. Hidden in the thick foliage of the tree was our secret place. The place only the two of us knew. We built it when we're younger, after I got kicked out on the orphanage after I turned eighteen. This was his grandparents property before it was passed to him after their death. His family thought he’d already sell it after the title transfer but unbeknownst to them he transferred it again on another name, the girl he’d trusted the most– me.

Now I know that Dave wasn’t as clueless as Alex thought he was, he knows that the wedding was just a ploy. A game where Alex was the master puppeteer but I’ve known this from the very start. That damning day that he kissed me in front of Dave, with a parting words of hell for Dave if I won’t obey.

For seven months I kept replying what has transpired that I ended becoming his puppet.

The very first time Alex asked me on a date I flat out said that I don’t like him, that I love his cousin. But he never gave up. At first I thought he was just envious over all of Dave’s achievement that he became possessive on the things or person Dave didn’t own. He even resort on blackmailing me a few times but when it didn’t work he pulled out his one last remaining string and asked me to be his girlfriend or he will going to kill Dave.

That was the day I gave in.

I dug the dirt on the pultruding roots and took the trap door key. The door hinges creaked as the rusting metal groaned for the lack of oil and maintenance. I climbed down the few steps of stairs and inserted the other key on the much nicer door. It opened silently then, I entered the room after clicking the light switch. Light illuminated the small room as I surveyed my surrounding. I opened the door on the left and peered inside. His room were still as clean as before.

Then I entered my room. The first thing I saw when my eyes landed on the mattress was the white envelope and his phone.

There were two phones.

The other one was on the police and the other one was left for me.

My hands shook as I tear the white envelope opened. A letter tucked inside with my name scrawled at the back of it.

Ari,

The fact that you didn’t came. I’m assuming your probably asleep and dead to the world so I decided to write this letter in case something happened to me.

First of all, I’m sorry if I got you in this mess and I’m very sorry if I didn’t fight for you harder. I swear I’m doing everything in my power so you could be free from his clutches but then, when I confronted him he said cockily that you're all he needs in his life that my money and family’s wealth was not what he needed. (I honestly wanted to strangle him.)

The day I found you kissing with him I thought I would die but I know you. For months you didn’t fell on his charms and I thought what change. That’s when the pieces of the puzzle started to click. He wants this piece of land and the only way to acquire it without using money is if he will marry you.

This land needs to be put in good hands that’s why my grandparents made sure to put it on my name before they died. You know that this was the last of the forest reserve in the state that the government hadn’t acquired and transformed into factories and office buildings.

Together with this letter is a contract. Sign it and the land would be immediately transfer in the orphanage’s name. After you sign it put it in the other envelope in the bedside table, the one that addresses on Attorney Paul and mail it to him on your way back. I know this is so sudden but it’s the only way I could think of to save you from him.

I love you, Ari more than everything that I have and more than you could ever imagine. I will gave up everything for you in a heartbeat even my life but life was a rather cruel joke of vengeance and greed. I hope you’ll have a happy life after this, Ari.

Love,

Dave

I wiped the tears that streak on my face and picked up his phone.

I opened the phone using his password then, suddenly I was redirected on a live feed of four surveillance camera on the exact place where he was murdered.

Now, I am ready to fuck death and take the price of my vengeance.