Over My Dead Body.

Flashback
Jessica

As I dragged my suitcase out of the airport, I immediately spotted my family waving frantically to get my attention. As I approached them, I was greeted by a excited Jasmine who wasted no time and immediately flung herself at me.

"Woah there! Are you trying to kill me?"

"Maybe just a little bit."

She replied, helping me up off the ground as my parents took their chance at welcoming me home.

"Look how brown she looks."

My mother scrutinized as she gave me a huge, sloppy kiss on the cheek while my dad brought my suitcase to the trunk of the car and she continued.

"She even looks skinny. Where your backside gone? (Where's your ass)"

She went on criticizing atop her voice as she turned me around to observe all the changes that have taken place while I was away. I noticed people staring at us, no doubt intrigued by the unnecessary commotion. Needless to say, I was embarrassed.

"Mommy, stop, people looking."

I begged as my cheeks turned red and she retorted, staring at the the group of tourist that were waiting on their shuttle bus.

"Well let them look! You're my baby, I must be able to say if you look awful."

Knowing, if allowed, my mother would spend the entire day badmouthing the innocent tourist, I rolled my eyes and made my way to car, praying to God she would catch the hint and follow suit. Thank heavens she did. We drove for about 15 minutes before my father, never one to talk much, spoke up from the drivers seat.

"So.. Jessy... How is life in the land of the free?"

"Yes baby, you talking to any white boys?"

That was my mother, all she ever spoke about since I migrated was shopping and me dating a white boy.

"Something like that."

I replied, thinking of Demi. I mean she was white, She just wasn't a white boy. It had been about seven months since we've gotten together officially. After the altercation with her mother, I decided to disappear. Not only due to her mother's threat but also due to the fact that I believed that was best for Demi.

It took her three months after she got out to rehab to find me and we decided to give our relationship a go. So here we are, seven months strong and I've decided to come out to my parents while I was here on break from touring.

"So where you want to go for dinner?"

My mom questioned enthusiastically as she checked her makeup in the rearview mirror.

"Anything is good. I just want some real food."

My response seemed to please my mother as she clapped excitedly and turned to face me and Jasmine.

"I'm so glad you said that because daddy and me found this cute little seafood restaurant. You're gonna love it. Right Jazz?"

She turned to Jasmine for validation but instead she was greeted with a roll of the eyes.

"Hey, you have a little too much attitude for your own good you know."

My mother warned as she resumed her earlier position in the passenger's seat, still earning no substantial reaction from Jasmine.

"So.... Thirteen is a big number. Finally a teenager."

I bumped shoulders with her, trying to cheer her up.