C H A P T E R 39

Zacznij od początku

"This is Princess Astrid of Sweden, Queen of the Belgians." Madeleine said.

"This is Prince Bertil and Princess Lillian

"This is Prince Bertil and Princess Lillian." Carl Philip said.

"This is Princess Ingrid of Sweden in 1912

"This is Princess Ingrid of Sweden in 1912." King Carl XVI Gustaf said.

"This was taken in 1873 by Amalia Lindegren, Queen Louise of Denmark, Princess of Sweden and Norway

"This was taken in 1873 by Amalia Lindegren, Queen Louise of Denmark, Princess of Sweden and Norway." Victoria said.

"This is Sophia of Nassau (9 July 1836 – 30 December 1913)

"This is Sophia of Nassau (9 July 1836 – 30 December 1913)." Carl Philip said. "Queen Sophia of Sweden and Norway was the consort of King Oscar II. She was born Princess Sophia Wilhelmine Marianne Henriette of Nassau on July 9, 1836 at the Biebrich Palace in Wiesbaden, Germany, the youngest of four children of Wilhelm, Duke of Nassau and his second wife, Pauline of Württemberg. She also had eight half-siblings from her father's first marriage to Princess Louise of Saxe-Hildburghausen. Sophia, by all accounts, was a very smart child and was educated privately by tutors. She was most interested in languages, history, and religion – three subjects which would serve her well in the life which lay ahead of her. She spent some time in Russia court specifically to learn about life in a grand court. Having lost her father at the age of three, and her mother at the age of 20, Sophia then lived with her elder half-sister, Princess Marie of Wied. It was in July 1856 that Sophia met her future husband, Prince Oscar of Sweden, Duke of Östergötland. He was the third son of King Oscar I of Sweden and Norway and Josephine of Leuchtenberg. The two fell in love and were engaged just two months later. Between their engagement and marriage, Sophia learned both the Swedish and Norwegian languages, as well as studying the history of both countries. Sophia and Oscar married on June 6, 1857, at Biebrich Palace, and made their entrance into Stockholm several weeks later. Sofia (who had now taken the Swedish spelling of her name) was quickly embraced by the Swedish people who nicknamed her The Blue Duchess, because of the blue dress she wore when she arrived. They had four sons." Carl Philip said.