Wink Wonk ;)

Zisael and I spent time in the gardens. I told him everything that had happened in the last month. The baby. Lux. In turn, he told me about the mission. About how it was supposed to go.

"The funeral, as you know, was when Cassius was going to attack," Zisael whispered, "it was almost two months ago, but before that happened Bane and him had a meeting in secret. They came to a compromise. They agreed that Cassius should still attack them, to hold up the charade of war. But at the ball, Bane would send in the troops. It was all a ruse, they were ordered not to harm anyone. The real mission was... for my father.

"He was to be captured, and later killed. But Alabaster, you have to understand... he wasn't a good person. He would've never let Cassius rule. He'd be in the back, quietly pulling the strings until he died. My father wanted this war to happen. He's bloodthirsty. But all we want is for it to end. To have peace. Then it went wrong. My father wasn't where we thought he'd be. Everything was out of place. And then I was banished."

My gaze trailed to a patch of white flowers that seemed to flow in the moonlight. His father?

"D-did Beth get out? Is she okay?" I asked hesitantly and prayed that she was. Now, it might be my only hope.

"She... did, she's in stable condition," he murmured and I felt my heart beat louder at the implication. "But there was a misfire, she's in a coma."

"No. You can't be serious?" I gasped with wide eyes, "she's the only one who knows that Lux has me."

"What? How?" Zisael sputtered.

"Cassius introduced us at the party, and later I hid with her under a table," I almost laughed at the preposterous idea of hiding under a table. Lux wouldn't have hurt me. "And I told her one word. Lux. And I prayed that she would get it to Cassius."

Zisael remained quiet.

"You'll get back to him one day, maybe sooner than you'd think," the prince promised me and I forced myself to believe it.

But how many months until I gave up hope? I hadn't heard anything from the outside world, I didn't even know if he was looking. He might've given up since Zisael left. He would be king soon, even if his father still lived. Maybe he had more important things to attend to than look for me.

"You think you'll come back?" I wondered as we began to turn back towards the house, changing the subject.

"Come back where? Here?" He replied and looked to me.

"Lux is the only person I really see or talk to," I said in response and it was the truth.

"I guess I could try, but Bane..." he trailed off and sifted his hand through his blond hair. "Once he sets his mind on something I have no sway over him. I tried a few times and it never really ended well on my part. Although I didn't really mind."

"How didn't it end well?" I cocked my head to the side and hoped Zisael hadn't been hurt.

"You don't want to know about my sex life," the prince gave me a droll stare and I took the hint.

"Pfft, I was your sex life at some point," I snorted, I'm sure I'd be able to endure anything he told me. I wasn't Jamie. I didn't usually get embarrassed by that sort of thing.

"It was one night, I'd hardly call that a life," he rolled his eyes but his lips tugged into a little smile. We pushed inside where the house was lit.

"Whatever, you know I was good," I scoffed and crossed my arms. Zisael opened his mouth to respond, but closed it when he spotted Bane leaning against the wall. Waiting for him.