Sixteen

Jack's eyes flicked open, a sluggish yawn bursting from his lips as his body adjusted to being awake again.

With a short huff, he lifted his arms above his head and stretched, joints clicking and muscles tensing until the strain of being in frozen sleep wore away.

It was still pouring outside.

The rain hit his window rhythmically, droplets casting shadows over his bedroom walls through the net curtains- the sight and sound almost enough to lull him back to sleep.

Instead he shook himself, kicking away the covers from his feet and stretching his limbs again with a loud grunt. He stretched until it reached orgasmic proportions; his eyes rolling to the back of his head, his feet shaking, and his calf not so lovingly cramping up on him.

"Ugh." He complained, blinking up at the ceiling.

The cramp soon left and he sagged against his bed sheets, oddly unsure of what to do next. Unemployment was still a foreign concept to him so he was terribly unused to waking up without having a motive for the day.

After scratching at his jaw, and rubbing his hand against the facial hair that had yet to be groomed, he finally swung his feet over the side of the bed and stood up. 

Once his balance adjusted, he went trudging to the toilet, lazily relieving himself of his full bladder before washing his hands.

He took the stairs two at a time and ambled down to the kitchen, kicking into autopilot mode as he turned on the kettle, rummaged through his fridge, shoved a handful of nuts into his mouth and then cringed at the fact that he hadn't brushed his teeth since the previous night.

It was only when he had a cup of tea in his hand and was sat on the window sill, looking at the wet outdoors, that he allowed his thoughts to turn inwards.

He was doing a lot of that lately. Contemplation.

It was easier to think things through right at the beginning of the day, when his mind wasn't filled with the hubbub of other people's voices or smells and when rest had endued him with a fresh outlook on the day. His feelings felt like they were in high definition.

He felt...

Sad.

Really, he didn't know if sad was quite the word for the quiet blueness that seemed to press down upon him from every side.

He supposed that he had perhaps come to a strange amity with the events of the previous day and was even feeling somewhat relieved that he'd gotten the confession of his undying love from off his chest.

He just wasn't quite sure what he had expected to happen.

Of course, he had thought that maybe, there was a chance she would have wanted to come with him.

"You're a right, old fool, Jack." He mused to himself, shaking his head absently. "A right, old fool."

---

Between filling his hours with house work: fixing the leaky tap that had been broken for the better part of the year and replacing the part of the fence that broken in his back garden, he lost track of what day it was.

His eating schedule was somewhat compromised and most of the time he had nothing better to do but sleep into the afternoon, so it took him about five minutes, and a scroll through his phone, to figure out that it was actually Friday.

Four days since he had gotten fired.

Three days since he'd taken one last sweet glimpse upon the woman he had lost.