Seven

There was a reason why he couldn't remember the last time he'd been on a date, and that was simply because it was impossible to reminisce on something you'd never done.

Of course, he'd gone out with females before, but only in the platonic sense. There'd never been the expectation of something more and he'd never pursued anything in that regard either.

So the fact that he was meeting up with Ally, on a real romantic outing, was exciting.

It was nothing formal- just a movie and perhaps a quite bite to eat afterwards, so Jack was dressed relatively casual. Jeans and one of his nicer t-shirts were the outfit of choice for him, the heat wave meaning that he had no need for a jacket.

He reached the cinema first and hung around looking at the listings. The plan had been to pick a movie on the day, but now that he was looking at what was available, he couldn't see anything that caught his interest.

Now that he thought about it, he wasn't really a big movie enthusiast. He didn't actively keep up with news about the latest releases and hot-shot celebrities, and he didn't recognise half of the films that were on offer.

He loved classic psychological thrillers, the likes of which didn't seem to be in very high demand according to the upchuck of rom-coms and CGI actions films this particular cinema seemed to be showing.

Finally bored with looking around at posters, he leaned up against one of the walls that faced the entrance and waited there until Ally turned up.

Her eyes caught his as soon as she walked past the threshold and her face lit up in a smile. Reaching him, she opened her arms up in a hug, moving close enough so that her scent went flying up into his nose.

The note of heat on it was stronger than usual and Jack bit back the urge to ask her if she was nearing that time of the month. The scent made him antsy, the primal part of him interested in taking a closer look at the owner of the scent and opening it up that bit more.

It would be totally inappropriate for him to stick his nose in her neck so instead, he smiled back at her and returned the hug.

"Ready?" She pulled away and looked towards the ticket desk. "Do you know what movie you're interested in watching yet?"

He shook his head. "I don't mind."

"Fair enough." She pursed her lips in an amused manner and started leading him to the desk. "You don't mind if I choose then?"

He laughed. "Well, as long as it's not romance."

They ended up choosing an action movie, one with a decent CGI budget that didn't make Jack cringe in his seat and regret paying the money. Out of courtesy, he paid for both of their tickets plus the popcorn, getting a rather pleasant sense of accomplishment when Ally beamed and practically inhaled the whole box at once.

It felt good to provide for an omega, even if it wasn't anything particularly grande.

After the movie, they moved over to one of the adjoining restaurants and ordered a bite to eat, neither of them ready to call it a day yet.

He found that they got along really well.

She was nearing her thirtieth birthday, much to Jack's surprise. While she had never been properly courted by an alpha, she had told him that she was finally ready to start looking to settle down. She had put the mating business off for so long because she'd been studying to become a paediatric nurse and working had taken sole priority.

Since it didn't any longer, she was free to relax a little and had started thinking of her future outside of work.

"I have to say, I was surprised that you were the one to ask me out."