Two

For the most part, Jack really liked the old lady who lived next door.

When he had asked, he found out that she'd been living in the house beside his for just over fifty years and wasn't planning to relocate anytime soon either. 

She'd been alive when omegas like her didn't have any rights, she'd lived through the rallies and the protests and the riots, and she'd made a name for herself in the world of interior decorating when society had said she'd never handle the working world.

In his opinion, she was one of the most progressive old ladies that he knew. However, even she had ideals that she just wouldn't shift on. 

Like the fact that Jack still wasn't mated.

He knew that she meant well when she questioned him on his non-existent mate but it still made him sigh and barely hold back from rolling his eyes to the high heavens. There was no reason why someone had to have such an investment in his love life, as if he didn't already think about it enough.

"When I find the right girl I'll make sure to introduce her to you, Mrs Mannen."

She pursed her lips at that and waved him away, allowing him to get out of the sweltering outdoor heat and into his air conditioned home. 

He garnered that the reason she hadn't lectured him for another half hour, like she normally would, was because the temperature was too high even for her, and she loved sitting out on her porch, no matter the weather. 

For that he was grateful, not hesitating to firmly shut his front door behind him once he was safely inside. He clicked the lock into place and took a deep breath, rolling away the kinks in his shoulders.

His house was something he was relatively proud of. 

In fact, the modest sized, two bedroom house was actually way above what he'd usually be able to afford, but the man who had sold it to him owed Jack's father a favour and had dropped the price considerably as a result. 

Jack had been working in the corporate world since he'd turned eighteen and so had amassed more than enough money to furnish his house to a nice standard. He wasn't fussy so most of his furniture was neutral toned or wood, it wasn't showy and it got the job done- the only thing he required out of a piece of furniture.

He reckoned that that may have been another reason why most girls weren't interested in him. Apart from the fact that he had never properly put himself out there and mostly kept to himself, he thought that maybe he was a little too plain, a little unadventurous, not different enough to stand out in a sea of a million other alphas. 

Of course, that wasn't taking into account the fact that his wolf had an unhealthy interest in a certain blonde.

You know what they say: you can't separate the wolf from the man. He told himself.

And it was true, in actuality, there was no separating the wolf from the man. However, there was absolutely a separating of the body and the mind. 

His body wanted things that his mind knew he couldn't have.

He wanted but he didn't want at the same time. 

It didn't make much sense but there were some things that he acknowledged he would never fully understand.

The thought crossed his mind, that maybe, he should just take Ms Mannen's advice, find himself someone that he could tolerate, at the very least, and mate them. He didn't even need to find them overly attractive- perhaps soley the comfort of having someone to share his life with would be enough to keep him happy.