Chapter 11

I let my eyes slip away from them, looking up at Daddy with worry in my eyes. Leaving them alone made my stomach churn. It made that anxiety you get at the doctor's office fill my body.
I wasn't afraid of her doing anything. I trusted and knew she was better than that. Alexis wasn't the type to cheat or abruptly end a relationship without an explanation. She didn't have that mental setup.
I drag my feet as I'm gently pulled to my play area in the front room. A pen in the corner with a few blankets for me to sit on. My toys and blocks inside. Daddy had set it up to keep me occupied when he worked from home. He could see me from the office connected to the living room, close enough if I needed anything.
"Daddy..Are you okay?" I asked, looking up at him. I could see he looked worse than me. He most likely wasn't too worried about himself, but me. I was used to seeing it. He was afraid of how I would deal with things, putting my comfort ahead of his.
His eyes widen as he seemingly snaps out of a trance. He looks down at me, giving me a faint smile. "Baby girl, I'm fine. Let's you get in your pen." He keeps that smile plastered on his face as his hands go under my arms. He lifts my body into the bed, over the colorful short walls. He sets me down before climbing in himself. His body hunches over a bit as he sits against the small wall, giving me plenty of space to play as I chose.
That sinking anxiety quickly fizzles away at the sight of my toys. I crawl towards my blag of large plastic blocks. As soon as my hand wraps around the bags handle, I slip. My younger side grabs hold of me. I look at Daddy with a giggle, setting the bag between me and Daddy as I sit to face him. "Tower!" I squeal, sitting on my knees.
I watched his face light up, his energy matching mine.
His hands go to unzip the bag, dumping the blocks out on the floor. "We're gonna build the best tower ever! However you want to baby."
I reach forward, moving some out the way as I start to build. I make a small outside before beginning to build up. Daddy plays along, helping me build up as we go.
It doesn't take long, my giggling and his encouragement going hand and hand we stack higher and higher. The tower nearly stand as tall as Daddy while he's sitting. He picks up the last block, holding it out to me. "Here. The princess does the finishing touch." He grins, watching me take it.
I crawl around the tower before carefully sitting myself in his lap. I giggle and reach up, hovering the piece. "And..It's done!" I set the piece on top before clapping my hands with a smile. I look up at him as he beams down at me. His happiness, his smile made me feel better. It was a pure distraction. His arms snake around my waist, holding my back close to his chest. "It's looks amazing. We did really good on it."
I nod softly, my lips parting as I'm about to speak. Im interrupted by a crack of lightning and then the booming thunder. It was dark outside, the light rain from before replaced by pouring rain. My body tensed instantly. My fear of rain was something I had faced for a while. Storms struck a fear into me nothing else could. Before my own water works could start, Daddy pushed my pacifier between my lips. He was quick, trying to avoid my breakdown as best as he could. He turns me sidways in his lap, pulling my head to his chest. His hand goes to my hair, smoothing it up into my ponytail. His touch slowly relaxed me, not a word spoken between us two.
We were interrupted by footsteps coming towards up. I look up from the pen, seeing Alexis with Matthew in tow. She looked sad, her eyes still holding the glassy look that my chest hurt. She gives Daddy a look, her eyes going from him to the front door. My stomach started to churn instantly, I couldn't read the look. Daddy holds me in his arms, getting onto his feet. I'm turned so his hands are on my thighs, my face pressed into the crook of his neck. He carefully steps over the side of the pen, making his way over. I can't see them, keeping my eyes closed as I cling to him. I didn't want to let go.
She spoked first, "We talked.. Matthew is going home..It's not the end of our discussion but for now, it is.." Alexis opens the door for him, the rain hitting the ground becoming louder.
I pull away from his neck, looking over them. I run my eyes over each of their faces, lingering on Matthew. That small smug smirk bothered me. He looked as if he was up to something. I glare at him briefly before I feel a small pinch of my legs. My eyes snapped back to Daddy's, my skin burning a bit at the pinch. He raised an eyebrow, a quick attitude adjustment. I back down, letting my anger go.
Matthew looks to us, opening his umbrella. He clears his throat, "Well, it's been nice seeing you all.." He plasters on a smile for use before turning to my Mommy. "I hope to see you later, Lexi.." He smirks a bit, raising umbrella over his head as he steps out. He makes his way down the street, us all watching in silence.
Alexis closes the door behind him, carefully locking it. It takes her a second but she turns back to us, smiling softly. "Come here, Baby. Daddy didn't fix your hair when he dressed you, did he?" She holds out her hands for me, inviting me into a hug.
I smile with my pacifier between my lips, slipping down from Daddy's grasp. I step right into her arms, reaching for her. My body is picked up with a small grunt, holding me close. I hold onto her, my arms going around the back of her neck. "He no do it.." I smile and peek back at Daddy.
His face was riddled with a bit of irritation, obviously wanting to discuss it further. He raises an eyebrow, about speak his mind.
Before he can get it out, Mommy stops him, "Later.." She gives him an apologetic smile before pecking my cheek. "Let's get you upstairs. I'll fix your hair and we can watch cartoons with some snacks before bedtime."
I nod energetically. I was happy to have her attention and him out of our house. I slide out of her arms, wrapping one of my hands in hers before hooking my other one into Daddy's. I looked between them, a genuine smile on my face. They glance at each other before giving me the same look in return. I start dragging them to our room.
They follow me willingly though I hear a few mumbles behind me. I tune it out, letting them go as I climb onto the bed. I sit down in the middle of it.
Daddy walks over to the bed side table, shaking his head softly. "I'll be back, Princess. Cookies and chocolate milk before bed?" He asks, picking up two of my sippy cups. He kisses my cheek softly as I give him a nod. Without saying anything else, he slips downstairs. His footsteps and then a few cabinets open and closing in the kitchen rather loudly. My nose scrunched as I listened, growing concerned.
Mommy goes into one of the drawers in out dresser, pulling out the things for my hair. She brings them to the bed, sitting behind me. Before starting, she wraps her arms around the waist, pulling my back to her chest. "I love being here..I'm not going anywhere right now.." She kissed the back of my head before pulling herself away. She picked up the remote, handing it to me. I take it, pointing it at the tv as I feel her hands beginning to go to work in my hair. I let out a small squeal as she sprays my hair with the water, trying her best not to let it get on my face. Her hands dip into my hair creme as I settle on Dexter's Laboratory. I relax as she does my hair, my eyes locked onto the tv.
Daddy slips back up stairs into the room with a pack of cookies and one of my sippy cups. He smiles a bit when he sees us, sitting on his side of the bed. He sets the cookies on the dresser, running his fingers over my cup. He was deep in thought, staying quiet like he usually did.
Mommy eventually finished, leaving my hair in a messy bun. She starts putting up my hair stuff before stripping out her clothes.
I crawl over to Daddy, smiling softly as I take my spot in the middle of the bed, next to him. I kiss his cheek, "Cookie?" I ask, glancing between him and the pack. It was tempting. With a chuckle, he picks it up. He sets it in his lap, pulling back the paper. "Here you go. Don't eat too many.."
Mommy climbed onto the bed, sitting on my other side. I lean my head on Daddy's shoulder, Mommy rubbing my thighs as we watch tv quietly.
Half a cup of milk and an episode later, I'm exhausted. It had been a long day with the moving and the surprises no one could have seen coming. Daddy slowly pulls my bottle from my lips, setting it to the bedside table quietly. He starts climbing off the bed, kissing my head. A small tired smile plays on my lips a my eyes start to close. "Good night, Baby girl."
Mommy stays in place on the other side of me, pulling the sheets over my body. She carefully bend down, smoothing my hair and kissing my head. "Night, Princess.."
In no time at all, I drift asleep.

Not too long later, I start to wake. The bed feels empty, cold. I reach around on both sides of me, greeted by nothing but mattress. I slowly start to sit up, squinting as I look around the room. The tv was still on, muted though to keep it from waking me. I look around the room, wondering where they could have went. The light under the bathroom door catches my eye, making me grow curious almost instantly. As quietly as I can, I start to slip out the bed. I make my way over to the bathroom door, listening carefully for them.

He sighs, "Alexis..you can't be considering getting back with him. After what he did..how he left you."

She sounds just as tired, nearly mumbling. "I'm not considering it. And you know that. It's tying up loose ends, that's all. I don't know how to explain it to you any differently."

I listen to his footsteps, hearing him pace the floor inside. "I've known you for two years now. You were there when I brought her into my life. You know how much I care about her..I just need to know before she gets hurt.." He stops walking.

Alexis stays quiet for a minute. "I can promise you..I'm not going back to him..It's just hard to let go. Having someone that important in your life just walk away..I need the closure. That's it. I care about her too, I don't want her to get hurt. That's why I'm tying up the loose ends.."

I smile a bit from my side of the door, listening to the conversation. I hesitate before carefully opening the door. I step in, biting my lip.

They look at me, standing on opposite sides of the bathroom. Mommy smiles softly, "Baby, what are you doing up? It's past your-"

I cut her off, wrapping my arms around her. I hold onto her, laying my head to her chest. "Thank you.." I mumble. 
Her hand comes down and softly rubs my head, glancing over at Daddy with a confused look.
He makes his way over, kissing my cheek and then Mommy's. He let's out a tired sigh. "Let's go to bed..We still have to help Mommy unpack.."
---------------------
Over 2,000 words. Did I make it up to you guys? Tell me what you think? Should I start a new book? A better one, anyway. I started this a while ago..when my skild were..meh.