Chapter 58

Astrid's P.O.V.

"You seem a lot calmer today," Dr. Treagrac commented.

"Well, I figured, why freak out when it won't help a situation?" I say.

"So, you've accepted the fact that you're pregnant, Hiccup lost his leg, and all that?" she asks.

"Not really accepted, more like realized," I say.

"What can we do to help you accept it?" she asks.

"Well, how does one accept the fact that she made her boyfriend lose his leg, and that she's pregnant for the second time in her life before she's even 20?" I counter.

"Therapy," she answers.

"That's why I'm here, so stop asking me how to get me to accept it and start telling me. Because I can't accept anything, I still haven't accepted the fact that I had to give away my daughter and my mom is in jail. To me, I had a miscarriage and Mom is still somewhere in Outcast City."

"So you're in denial," she said with a nod.

"I'm in denial that I need to waste Hiccup's fathers money on these stupid sessions that are in no way helping me," I tell her. We're then thrown into an awkward silence. "I live off awkward so this works for me to take up the hour," I say.

"I can't count the hour unless you talk," she said.

"I know for a fact that you have another appointment right at 4:00. That's when this one ends," I say.

One hour later

So, I won the staring contest, and am now in Hiccup's car, driving around town. I didn't know what to do with myself. I know Hiccup probably wanted to see me, but I didn't want to see anyone. I'd forgotten what day it was, and I can't remember the last time I'd been to school or work. I couldn't even remember my schedule. I stopped at a red light and leaned my head back against the head rest before seeing something from the corner of my eye. I look to my left to see a girl, my age, standing on the corner, a boy on her hip and a girl holding her hand as they waited to cross. They had a dog with them, and when the light turned, the smaller girl raced the animal across the street as the older one called for her to wait, following at a slower pace. I took a deep breath as I watched them. I doubt that if I hadn't given away my daughter, I'd be in their position at the moment. Happy, safe...with a dog. I slowly rubbed my torso, not noticing when the light turned green. Cars started honking behind me and I slowly flipped them off over my shoulder before starting to drive again. While I was driving, I heard my phone go off in the passenger's seat. I picked it up and glanced at the screen briefly to see that Crimson was calling me. I sighed before answering the call and putting the phone to my ear.

A: Hello?

C: Astrid? Where the heck are you? You haven't shown up to any of your shifts this week.

A: I-I, I um...

C: Look, I know we were trying to break the workaholic habit, but this is too much, if you're not going to show up, we need you to call us with someone to fill in for you.

A: You sound stressed...

C: Yes, I am stressed, because I've had to fill in for you every day this week because you didn't show up without telling us in advance.

A: I-I'm sorry...

C: Sorry's not gonna cut it Astrid. You've been our best employee since you started working here, and now you're just going lazy. Get your act together or we're choosing your paychecks to stop.

With that, she hung up and I followed suit before I heard sirens go off behind me. I looked in the rear view mirror to see a cop car on my tail. I screamed at myself before pulling off the highway and onto a service street, stopping the car at the curb before putting it in park. I put my elbow on the arm rest and rubbed my temple as the officer walked to my window and tapped on the glass. I take a deep breath and let it out in a sigh before rolling my window down. I started grabbing my license and registration before he even said anything. I handed them to him before he paused.