Chapter 33

Astrid's P.O.V.

I covered my face with the blankets as the sun almost blinded me. My brain was pressing against my skull painfully and I felt sick to my stomach. "Astrid, get up," a voice says softly.

"Shut the freakin' blinds!" I snapped.

"Hangover?" Hiccup's voice asks as I hear the blinds  being pulled shut.

"Nothing I can't get over," I said as I got up and went to the bathroom to brush my hair.

"Are you saying you've had one before?" Hiccup asks, sounding angry as he followed me.

"Before I knew you," I half lied. I put my hair in a braid and got a cold washcloth before pressing it to each of my eyes in turn. I sighed in relief when the burning subsided and took the cloth away to see that the bags and circles under my eyes had almost disappeared.

"Astrid, I still want to talk to you about last night," Hiccup says as I walk out.

"Well I don't," I said, walking toward the door. I try to open it, but Hiccup reaches over my shoulder, from behind me, and slams it closed again.

"And I do. Wonder who's gonna win this one," he says before grabbing my arm and pulling me back to the bed. "Astrid, why were you out drinking last night?" he asked angrily as he made me sit.

"I didn't mean to. I was just gonna have a couple of virgin drinks but the bartender messed up one of my orders," I say.

"You told me you were going to work late; why'd you lie?" he asked.

"Because I had to do something and I couldn't do it properly if you followed me to that bar!" I almost snapped.

"What business would you have to do in a bar?!" he asked.

"Something you don't need to know about! No one needs to know about it besides the police so if you'll excuse me, I need to be somewhere!" I shout before storming out of my room, snatching my phone from my desk as I passed it. I ran outside and walked down the street.

After Astrid shows her picture to the police

I walked up the drive way  with my hands in my pockets. When I reached the door, I saw a note taped to it.

Astrid,

I went grocery shopping so if you think of anything we need, text it to me and I'll get it. See you in a bit.

-Hiccup.

I crumpled it before walking in. After throwing it in the trash, I take out my phone and text Hiccup to get a six pack of beer. I start through the living room before the door bell rings. I pause before answering it.

"Surprise!" I froze as Leo pounced on me, wrapping his arms around my neck in a suffocating hug. Oh no.

"You guys! What a pleasant surprise!" I cheered, trying to sound happy to see them. Then, Roy pushes passed me with everyone on his tail, inviting themselves in. "Won't you come in?"

"Okay, so, where's this Derek we've heard nothing about?" Tony asked, putting his hands on his hips.

"Uh...he's um...at the store," I said, trying to keep my voice steady. Oh, Thor, please let him go along with it!

"So, you guys saved up and got this place huh?" Penny said, looking up the stairs.

"Uh, actually, this is his dad's place. We're house sitting for a few days while he's on...uh, cruise?" I had no idea why I couldn't tell them the truth about his dad. It's just- he's mayor, what's so bad about that?

"The mayor's on a cruise?" Criss asks suspiciously. Criss! She brought these guys here to embarrass me! AAHHH! I'M GOING TO KILL HER!

"Yes, he's been under a lot of stress lately," I tell her. Suddenly, the door opens and Hiccup walks through, bags filling his arms.

"Astrid, I'm home," he called, obviously not noticing that I was there until he looked up. His eyes clouded with confusion as he saw my group.

"Derek!" I cheer before rushing forward, slowing down as I reached him. I slowly snaked my arms around his neck, seductively, before gently kissing his lips. "What took you so long, honey? I missed you," I said before kissing him again, feeling him smile against my lips as he kissed me back. "Oh, you poor thing, let me help you with those," I said before taking some of the bags from him, holding back a shiver as he smirked at me. "We'll be right back, make yourselves at home," I said to my friends as Hiccup and I went to the kitchen. "I'm so sorry, Hiccup. I just need you to pretend to be Derek for a while," I tell him when we're out of ear shot, putting the bags on the counter. 

"Oh, well, no harm done," he says, sounding overly happy as we start to put the groceries away.

"Did you get the beer? I really need one," I said, digging through a bag.

"Sorry, by the time I got your text, I was already half way home," he said blankly.

"Okay," I sighed tensely.

"So, you and Derek. How serious is that?" he asks.

"Uh, my friends think it's pretty serious," I tell him and his eyes earned a glint that made me feel like a helpless mouse in the claws of a starved forest cat.

"Okay," he says simply as we finish and walk out to find my friends lounging around the living room. Criss was laying on the ouch, Penny and Joe were fighting over a recliner, Stan, Leo, Marcy, and Roy were laying on their backs with their legs on the coffee table top, and Tony was laying on the couch so that he overlapped Criss.

"Uh, so everyone," I start nervously, "This is Derek. He's my boyfriend." Hiccup slowly moved closer to me and snaked his arm around my waist before pulling me closer to his chest. I tried not to cringe as he planted a soft kiss on my cheek.

"You sure? I thought his name was Hiccup," Criss says.

"Hiccup! Ugh! He's my twin. Kinda the mama's boy of the family," Hiccup said, sounding disgusted as he leaned his head on top of mine.

"Oh, well that makes sense," Penny said as she slipped under Joe and won the recliner. 

"Hehe, yeah, they're in the middle of a family feud, right?" I said and Hiccup nods with a convincing scowl. 

"So, your dad's on a cruise, Derek?" Tony asks.

"Cruise..." Hiccup looks at me uncertainly and I nod, "Cruise-? Cruise! Oh, yeah, I got a call from him today, he went swimming with sharks yesterday."

"So, how long are you guys in Berk?" I ask.

"We were thinking the week," Joe says.

"Oh, Spring Break. I almost forgot," I said with a miserable chuckle.

"So, any suggestions on hotels?" Tony asked.

"Oh no way are Asty's friends staying in some hotel for a week. We have plenty of rooms here and my dad won't mind," Hiccup said, making me want to punch him in his spot.

"Well, are you sure we wouldn't be imposing?" Marcy asked.

"Well-" Hiccup cuts me off.

"Of course not! What kind of boyfriend would I be if I turned down my girls crowd?" he says and I feel every muscle in my body stiffen like a plank.

"H-Derek, can I speak to you for a moment?" I ask before grabbing his arm and pulling him upstairs. "Trust me, you don't want them staying here. They are horrible house guests," I hiss when we're in the upstairs hallway, out of earshot.

"Consider it payback for lying to me last night," he says, smoothly, with a grin before going back downstairs before I can reply.

"No, no, no, no, no, no, no!" I whimpered, leaning against the wall. Okay, no harm done! I'll just stay in my room for their stay! Yeah! That'll work right?! "Stormfly!" I called as I went into my room and closed the door.