Chapter 24

Astrid's P.O.V.

I payed for the beer and stormed down the street until I came to the park. I snap the lid off the first bottle and start chugging. I had gotten away from Hiccup after telling him I had to go for a cool down walk and we could talk when I got back. He of course was reluctant but allowed it. Probably should have said I was going for a cool down drink. I finish the bottle in a matter of seconds and throw it at the ground before opening another. Beer probably wasn't as effective as wine or vodka but I've seen Mom get drunk on this stuff. Maybe if I drink enough this pain and anger will go away. I pause, half way finished with the second one, before burping loudly, the sound echoing in the empty park. It'd stopped raining when I went to the gas station so the bench was a little wet but screw it. I miss the days when I was innocent and didn't know words like "*****". When was that again? Oh, yeah, before I was abandoned on the door step of the Hoffersons. Did my parents think they were helping me? Did they think I'd be better off not in a children's home? Then, an idea comes to mind. I stand up from my bench, dispose of my beer, and start walking to City Hall.

Back at Hiccup's house

"Astrid, what the heck?! I just got a call from my dad saying that you quit!" Hiccup snaps as I walk through the door.

"Yep," I pop the p with a blank look in my eyes, "I'm also gonna quit the job at Gobber's. He's too...demanding...to be my boss."

"Well why'd you quit?" he asks, standing in front of me.

"Because I can!" I snap before jogging upstairs.

"Astrid!" Hiccup calls after me before I slam my door closed. 

I go to my bathroom and turn on the hot water before taking off my clothes and letting the warm stream trickle over my body. I wash my hair and body before climbing out. I dry myself before putting on some PJs and wrapping my hair in a towel to dry further. I then sit on my bed and pull out my book. After about an hour, I have my hair brushed and braided when a soft knock sounds at the door.

"Astrid? Can I come in?" Hiccup's voice sounds, slightly muffled. I hide my book under my pillow and snap the covers over my body before turning away from the door and pretending to be asleep. I hear the door open slowly. "Astrid?" Hiccup whispers. I stay quiet and don't answer. "Astrid," he repeats louder. I still don't answer. He sighs before walking toward me, making me use all my strength to keep myself from stiffening.

Hiccup's P.O.V.

"Astrid, come on. I know you're awake," I say, hands in my pockets and head slightly tilted down. She doesn't answer. I sigh before walking to the other side of her bed and seeing her eyes closed peacefully. I gently brush her bangs out of her face before turning off her lamp. I then leave her room and close the door before going to the garage and getting some rope. I then go back to her door and make sure she's still in her room before tying one end of the rope to the door knob. I then go down the hall to my room and tie the other end to my door knob. Once it's secure, I go downstairs and call Heather and the others on a conference call.

(H1= Hiccup, H2=Heather, S=Snotlout, T=Tuffnut, R=Ruffnut, F=Fishlegs, A=All)

H1: Hey, guys. I know it's late, but I didn't want to save this till morning.

H2: It's fine, I wasn't doing anything.

T: Yeah, we were just wrestling.

S: I was actually busy, trying to entertain.

F: Gross.

H2: come on Fishlegs, you know Snotlout wouldn't be able to entertain like that unless she...or he was paid.

A (minus S): *laugh*

H1: Guys. Focus please.

A: Sorry.

H1: Astrid's in her room and she's gonna stay there for a while. I need idea's to make her...comfortable enough to open up.

T/R: About what?

H1: I can tell she's worried that she's going to be abandoned or something. She keeps trying to pack up and leave as if  she thinks I'm going to kick her out. She doesn't trust me and I can't trust her unless I know her full past. But she won't tell me anything; everything I know, I've learned from my father and the hospital. So I need ideas to get her to talk. Go.

H2: *hangs up*

S: Have you tried reverse psychology?

F: How do you know that word?

S: Never mind that. Hiccup, you should try to treat her like she expects you to. See if that changes anything.

H1:...I can not believe I'm considering that.

F: Neither can I.

T/R: CAN WE HELP?????!!!!!

H, S, F: NO!

H1: Okay, well. I'll think about it. G'Night, guys.

A: Night, Hiccup!

I hang up and pull a blanket over my shoulders before laying on the couch and going to sleep.

Morning

Astrid's P.O.V.

I woke up and looked at my clock to see it was 7:50. "Crap," I growl before pushing myself out of bed and getting dressed. Once I'm ready, I try to open the door but it won't budge. Great. He locked it somehow. I hear foot steps approaching and take a step back before crossing my arms in annoyance. Hiccup opens the door and blocks my path his his arm as I try to shove passed him. "We're gonna be late for school," I tell him, trying harder to get by. He then pushes me back into the room before closing the door behind him.

"It's Saturday," he says, making me feel like Snotlout. "Now sit down. I need to talk to you," he orders, walking toward the chairs in the corner.

"No," I say and start for the door.

"Astrid!" he shouts before I run to my bed and sit. "Here's what's gonna happen," he says, calmer, "You are going to tell me, everything. If you don't, I'm going to become a lot less pleasant. I'm getting frustrated with you Astrid. You're fragile and I don't want to break you, but if you don't let me at least try to understand what you've gone through, you might get chipped. So," he pulls a chair up in front of me and sits himself down, "start from the beginning."

"No," I say, trying to keep my voice from shaking. He shoots forward, puts one hand on either side of me on the bed, and leans toward me.

"Why not?" he growls, his warm, minty breath tickling my nose.

"Because I don't want your pity. I know that everything you've done to help me since we met was because you felt sorry for me! I don't need you to feel sorry for me! Sorry, sympathy, and pity are for the weak! And I'm only portrayed as weak because you keep forcing me to let you help me. I repeat: I don't want your pity!" I was trying my hardest to keep myself from yelling at him but I was failing. He moves slightly and I prepare for pain that doesn't come as he falls back into his chair, a thoughtful look in his eye as he held his chin and rested his elbow on the armrest.

"Okay. You don't want pity...so I won't give it to you. How bout empathy?"