Chapter Sixty-Four

Grayson Todd

Trial day two.

Last night had been a great reprieve between these trial days—even if Lily's showing up had been awkward as fuck. But for the first time since their agreement to let Emma make all the first moves, she'd made a first move. It was a kiss on the cheek sure, but Gray didn't think any kiss on the cheek had felt so special since college.

Of course, today wasn't going to be so wonderful.

In fact, it was going to be awful.

The first person on the stand was going to be Aaron, and Grayson had no idea what to expect from him. McFee didn't know what to expect from him. Hell, Gray would be surprised if the man's own goddamn lawyer knew what to expect from him.

Early again, as is wise to be, Gray and Emma were wandering the halls of the courthouse, waiting for the second session to come to order. As much as Gray wanted to be more affectionate than he was being currently, as much as it pained him not to, this trial was not over, even if both their testimonies were. Appearing anything but professional at the moment would most certainly hurt the case, especially since the defense was targeting them both already.

Not to mention, neither of them would find a scolding from McFee very pleasant.

"I don't have to watch, do I?" Emma eventually asked quietly.

She'd done okay yesterday, with Gray sitting directly between her and Aaron's lines of sight, but today they wouldn't be on a sideways plane, they be facing each other. And that wasn't something, unfortunately, Gray could protect her from. "No," he told her. "As long as the judge knows that you're here, and you haven't skipped out, you don't have to watch. She's aware of your circumstances."

Emma nodded gratefully. "Okay," she murmured, sounding a little more relaxed. "Do I get a dog again?" she asked, though her expression told him she was only half serious.

Gray chuckled. "They walk around. I'm sure you could flag one down if you wanted."

There was a pause, before she continued with a grin, "Can I keep it?"

He shook his head, laughing. "I'm not sure our building is dog-friendly." Because that was the problem, not because that was technically theft of a service animal or anything.

"Darn," she replied, snapping her fingers.

Approaching the courtroom, Gray didn't need to see the man to know that Aaron was coming again. The group of security officers was enough. Thankfully this time the pair of them were in front of the doors, and Aaron didn't need to walk by them. Gray stopped Emma and turned her around, and she tensed, sensing the reason for it. He then stood with his back to hers, blocking her tiny frame from Aaron's sight with his entirely.

Even though Aaron definitely tried as he was dragged into the room.

"....Is he gone?" Emma whispered once she heard the door close.

"Yeah," Gray replied quietly, letting her come back around to his side. "He's gone."

"And he's about to be for a very long time," came McFee's voice from behind them. Gray and Emma looked up as the District Attorney came around to them. "I don't think we'll be here as long as we think."

Gray furrowed his brows. "I dunno. We could be here longer, Warrick."

The lawyer smiled and shook his head, as if Grayson were a small child. "You heard Perkins yesterday. Aaron is unstable. Everyone agrees. He can try to talk us in circles all he wants, eventually the judge is gonna get annoyed and shove him off the stand herself."