Chapter Twenty-One

Emma Mabel

Emma's mind became a consistent battle. Despite her brain screaming that she was safe and Aaron would never harm her again, her body kept reacting. The moment Grayson ran out, Emma twitched and wrapped her arms around herself. She felt unprotected. After all - Aaron could return any moment. In addition, any loud sound would make her jump and turn her head. She had this urge to immediately correct any and all of her actions that Aaron would state was wrong of her. But Emma knew she didn't have to. She wasn't Emily. Emma was not Emily.

Right?

Slowly, Emma sat herself up in the hospital bed and watched the door. She listened to the commotion and only determined that Grayson was chasing after Aaron. Though a part of her was happy - really happy - another part of her was scared that Aaron was going to get hurt. If Aaron got hurt, Emma would get hurt.

Emma wrapped her arms around herself and closed her eyes. She took deep breaths as she tried to calm herself down and think rationally. I am safe. I am safe.

Grayson came back after his chase to Emma holding herself. Hearing the footsteps, Emma shot her eyes open in fear - she initially assumed it was Aaron and relaxed immediately after seeing that it was Gray. He seemed... remarkably calm after chasing after Aaron. Though, she had seen this reaction from Aaron before. He was mad - but he was hiding it

"You okay?" Grayson murmured as he stepped over to Emma. He sat himself down in the bed next to Emma and ran his hand across his jaw, closing his eyes. He was trying really hard to mask his emotions - Emma could tell that. She respected that - especially since she has gone through quite a bit.

Emma glanced over towards Grayson and watched as he rubbed his jaw - his hand was bloodied. Was it Gray's blood... or Aarons? "Are you?"

Gray raised up his eyebrow almost in disbelief. The woman had been kidnapped and abused for over a year, yet here Emma sat asking if he was okay. "I'm fine." He murmured out, pulling his bloodied hand down from his face. He glanced at his hand for only a moment before shifting his gaze back up to Emma.

After hearing his response, Emma shifted her gaze to stare back over towards the door of the hospital room. She found herself, once again, waiting. Like she knew Aaron was going to walk in any moment and yell at Emily. Emma. Emma is not Emily.

"Emma," Grayson spoke, though Emma didn't turn her head to his voice. Not because she didn't hear him but because she wasn't used to responding to her own name. "Emma." Grayson reached out his hand and placed it on Emma's knee.

Not expecting the touch, Emma jumped and widened her eyes. She gave a soft gasp in fear and turned her head to stare at Grayson. Gray immediately pulled his hand away from her - his facial expression showing both surprise and concern. "It's okay," He said slowly, holding up his hands slightly. She could tell he wasn't quite certain what to do. "Everything is okay."

Emma slowly rubbed her knees and pressed her lips together as she stared at Grayson. "Sorry. I'm used to being called Emily."

Grayson furrowed his eyebrows together at that - likely new information for him. However, he still seemed pissed. He shook his head slightly, likely not wanting to talk all too much about it at the moment, and decided to change topics. "How... uh... how did you end up in the hospital, Emma?"

Emma blinked her eyes and instinctively raised her hand up to her throat, recalling what had happened. "He said he had a good day at work and he was proud of me for being quiet when... when you came over." Emma shifted her eyes away. She didn't exactly want to see Grayson when she was talking about some of these things. "So he took me out to eat as a reward. He always orders my dinner... and there were peanuts," Emma trailed off and rubbed her neck. She shifted her eyes over to look at Grayson.

Grayson watched Emma with a calm expression as she spoke. However, though he tried to remain calm in his facial expressions, his body was giving himself away. Gray's shoulders were stiff in anger and his hands clasped his knees tightly - practically to the point that his fingers were white and his knuckles were starting to bleed more.

Then, Emma's stomach growled. She pressed her lips together and glanced down. "I, uh..." She started and trailed off. "I haven't eaten for over a day." She nodded her head towards Gray. "You technically had my dinner and I wasn't allowed lunch, because of the... phone call." Grayson hunched over slightly, hiding his face from her view. He began to clutch his hair slightly, breathing slowly. Hesitantly, Emma spoke, "Am I allowed to eat?"

Gray snapped his gaze up to look at Emma and frowned. She recognized the sympathy. "Of course you can eat," He murmured, pushing himself up to his feet. Likely not wanting to leave Emma's side, he stepped over into the hallway and flagged down a nurse.

Being in the bed, Emma wasn't able to hear the conversation. She merely waited until Grayson returned. "He's going to get you something that will be easy on your stomach," Gray said.

Like Gray had said, the nurse returned soon after with soft foods that wouldn't upset her stomach. Eagerly, Emma began to eat and hummed happily. She scooped up applesauce in a spoon and pressed it into her mouth, flipping it upside down. Grayson merely leaned back in the chair and watched her. He seemed to not only be watching her but spacing off in his own little world at the same time. There was a lot to think about, no doubt.

Focusing on her food, Emma merely turned her attention away and ate. After she was almost done eating, Gray spoke. "We're going to catch him, Emma." Emma lifted her head up. "Everything will be okay now."

Emma shifted her gaze back down and nodded her head. She pushed the tray back slightly and Grayson stood up to help throw away what she was finished with.

Being exhausted, likely from her allergic reaction, Emma slid herself down into the bed. She pulled the covers up to her chin and closed her eyes. It was time to relax. She was safe. She could relax. Continuously, Emma spoke those soothing comments to herself. She never was able to fall asleep, but she was able to relax. Grayson merely remained silent, lost in his own thoughts.

Eventually, the doctor came in. Emma opened up her eyes and watched as the Doctor began to check her vitals as well as the burn on her arm. "You're looking better, Emma. I should be able to let you go, since your reaction seems gone. Your burn will heal just fine - though it will scar a bit. I'm going to send you home with this." The doctor held up an ointment in the air and handed it over to Gray. Grayson raised up his eyebrows slightly but took it. "Rub it on at least twice a day, more if you need it."

The doctor shifted his gaze over to Grayson and frowned slightly. "I'll trust you'll keep her safe?" He questioned.

Grayson squeezed the container with her ointment in it and held it in the air, nodding his head. "Of course," He stated without a doubt.

Slowly, Emma swung her legs off of the bed and stood up. She grabbed the dress that she had originally been wearing and changed back into her dress in the bathroom, stepping out. The ointment that had been placed on her arm was much more relieving than the ice cubes.

Emma stepped out. "Ready to go?" Grayson questioned, nodding his head towards the hallway. "I took care of all of the paperwork. Don't worry about that," He said simply.

She wasn't worried about it.

Grayson walked next to Emma and began to take her out the front door of the hospital and into his car. Emma kept her head down, as Aaron taught her to do, when she sat in the passenger seat. She clasped her hands together on her lap and waited.

Eventually, Grayson sat down in the car. He tapped his fingers on the wheel of the car. Emma saw him glance over towards her in the corners of her eyes. He likely wasn't certain what to say. "I'm not going to be going anywhere for... quite a bit." Gray said slowly. "I don't think having you alone right now is a good idea."

Emma merely nodded her head as a response. She was used to being constantly watched as it was. "Is there... anyone you want to see or somewhere you want to go?" Gray questioned.

Blinking her eyes, Emma stared down at her knees. "I just want to go home." She murmured out.

Gray nodded his head as he started his car. "I understand," He said. "I'm sure Arthur is worried sick but happy to hear you're safe. No doubt he's heard by now."

Emma began to shake her head. "Not that home." She murmured. "A-Aaron's. My basement."