Chapter Fifty-Seven

Emma Carroll

Emma let days fly by without initiating any signs of affection towards Grayson. At least, nothing beyond hugging and the occasional cuddling. It wasn't that she didn't... want to... but she was frightened to. Emma didn't exactly enjoy having panic attacks and she didn't want to send herself into another. Grayson hadn't said anything about it, so she figured that it was fine with him.

Doctor Simon did, however. He questioned how Emma's approach on remaining in control worked with Grayson and Emma sheepishly admit that she wasn't doing anything. Though Simon likely would have urged her to at least try, he decided to back off. After all, there were more pressing issues at hand. Like... today.

The first day of the trial.

"Deep breaths." Simon reminded her during the last portion of their session. "It's okay to feel sad and scared but don't let yourself collapse into the dark tunnels." Simon said with concern in his voice.

Emma nodded her head, not entirely sure what else to say as she and Doctor Simon gave their goodbyes. Emma made her way out of the office and glanced up to see Grayson's car. Normally, she would walk back to the apartment after a session.

Considering today was the day of the trial... things were a bit different.

Sliding into the passenger seat, Emma glanced over to Grayson. He seemed to be watching her with slight concern, to which she merely gave him a soft smile. "I'll be okay." She said, reaching her hand out to place on top of his.

Grayson squeezed her hand softly before driving to the court house. Technically, they were heading to the courthouse early - far before the trial would even start. However, Emma wanted to go early. She felt as though if she walked around and became more familiar with the location she might feel a bit more comfortable while speaking at the trial itself.

Since Gray was more than happy to do anything that would make Emma feel more comfortable, he opted to take her there.

Walking inside it was clear to Emma that it definitely wasn't his first rodeo. She wasn't all that surprised. Emma merely took Grayson's arm and let him start to walk her around the place. As they walked, he would point out the occasional piece of art, room, or even story that popped into his head.

"A few years ago, I was at a trial in this room." Grayson nodded his head to the closed doors. "The guy I arrested tried to run. I think he made it three feet before being stopped?" Gray recalled vaguely, shaking his head. "Out of all of the places to try to run..." Gray commented with a chuckle.

Emma smiled up towards him and continued to listen as they walked through the location. Eventually, Emma felt like she was familiar enough with the area - about the time the trial was going to start. Emma shifted her head to the side and was glancing at a piece of art on the wall.

Then Grayson suddenly stepped in front of her. Emma stumbled and ran into his chest in confusion. She lifted up her head and gave him a slightly annoyed look. He didn't move. Instead, he wrapped his arm around her and held her against his chest. "Just... stay right here Emma," Gray murmured softly to her.

Emma stiffened. She glanced up to look at him and watched as Grayson glanced over his shoulder, an annoyed face clear as day as he watched whatever he was looking at.

It didn't take Emma long to figure it out. It was likely Aaron being transported.

Except, the courtroom was behind Emma - which meant that Aaron had to walk by. Grayson kept Emma pressed against his torso, watching Aaron over his shoulder.

"Taking care of my precious Emily?" Emma faintly heard Aaron's voice as he was walking down the hallway. She stiffened more - though Grayson seemed to stiffen as well. "Suppose it's only fair. Eye for an eye." Aaron chuckled as his voice was slowly approaching. "I took yours, so you take mine."

Grayson stiffened more. Emma pushed herself up from his chest slightly in annoyance towards Aaron. She took a step back before actually thinking about what she was doing. Once her gaze met Aaron's, she froze. "Emily," Aaron gave a wide grin after seeing her, casting his eyes over to his hair. "You need to change your hair." He stated simply, giving her a wink.

Emma felt a pit in her stomach - though she could hear Doctor Simon also talking to her in her head. He told her to not fall into that dark place. "My... My name is Emma." Emma murmured quietly. She intended to come off as more confident - though it didn't exactly happen that way.

Then Aaron gave that look. The look he always gave her before she was about to get hurt. Emma froze like a deer in headlights as Aaron stopped walking with the guards, glaring down Emma.

Emma fell into that dark place.

Grayson stepped forward to wrap his arm around Emma while the guards began to tug Aaron away regardless of the fact he stopped walking. Gray turned Emma around as she began to breath heavier. He merely held her against his chest. "You're safe," Gray murmured quietly to her words that she felt he'd be uttering for four weeks straight.

"I-I..." Emma struggled to breath as she pressed her hand over her mouth. She shook her head and covered her face. "I c-can't do it. I can't..."

"Hey-" Grayson knelt down slightly to reach Emma's height. He hugged her tighter and ran his fingers up and down her spine soothingly. "You're strong, Emma. You don't have to see him ever again." Gray whispered soothing words quietly into her ear as he held her. Emma merely continued to sob and breath heavily as he spoke.

Fortunately, they still had time before having to head in and do anything. Grayson pulled Emma off to the side by a bench and sat both of them down. He continued to murmur soothing words for a handful of minutes until she eventually calmed down.

Emma scrubbed at her eyes with her hands and leaned against his shoulder. "I'm okay," Emma murmured quietly and wiped the tears that she rubbed off with her hands onto her pants.

Grayson nodded his head as he continued to rub her far arm soothingly. He pressed his cheek against the top of her head head. "You're stronger," Gray murmured quietly to her.

Emma lifted her head up in confusion slightly and glanced up at him.

"You spoke back to him." Gray said as he lifted up his head slightly. He stared down at Emma with a smile. "I know it was hard for you to do, but you did." Grayson murmured, continuing to rub her arm. Emma felt as though from how many times he rubbed her shoulder or arm from her panic attacks it was going to fall off some day.

Giving a small smile, Emma nodded her head and leaned back against him. Given the fact that she would be giving her testimony in a separate room and having no interest in seeing Aaron again, Emma would be remaining out in the hallway.

Grayson, on the other hand, didn't have to.

"You should go in." Emma said, lifting up her head slightly to stare up at him.

Making a face down towards Emma, Grayson shook his head slightly. It was clear that he didn't want to leave Emma after she went through an episode, but Emma was insistent. "You're not staying out here for me," She said pointedly, poking his chest softly.

"Emma..."

"I'm fine," Emma insisted. She took his hand softly with both of hers and squeezed it lightly. "I'll be okay. You should go inside. I'll just... wait out here until I'm called." Emma paused before repeating herself again - though she wasn't entirely certain if it was to Grayson or to herself. "I'll be okay."

Grayson made one more face and Emma decided to push him up to his feet towards the door softly. "Go," Emma insisted with a soft smile. "You can swear at him in your head all you want." Emma joked.

Gray made a face, as if being tempted by the offer.

Emma gave a soft smile towards Grayson and pointed to the door. After casting one more concerned glance towards Emma, Gray eventually turned around and began to make his way inside.

Now... it was the waiting game. She would be sitting here until her name was called. That would be just as difficult of a challenge.