Chapter Fifty-One

Emma Carroll

Emma glanced over at Grayson hesitantly before looking down at her own menu. She knew that Gray wouldn't tell her what to get or even hint at what he was going to get - not until she ordered. Old habits died hard, after all. Thanks Aaron.

"I'll have the, uh..." Emma started down at the menu for a moment more before looking up at the waiter. "The caesar salad."

Shifting her gaze over to look at Gray, he gave Emma a soft smile before turning his attention back to the waiter. "I'll have the bacon cheese burger - well done." He specified before the waiter asked. After the waiter finished some last minute questions about the meals, he left.

Emma leaned forward and sipped her water. Since she hasn't had soda for now over sixteen months she didn't have any intention to start that up again. Not to mention, soda didn't rest well with her anymore.

"So," Emma started, pushing her straw around in the glass of ice. She glanced up at Grayson who was watching her as she spoke. "The... trial. What should I expect?" She questioned. Out of anyone, she figured Grayson would have the best idea on what she should prepare herself for. "Will I have to see Aaron... at all... or...?"

Grayson exhaled. "You might."

Great. Emma nodded her head and glanced down at the table. She let out a breath of her own before glancing up at him. Being that it had been now four weeks she's been away from Aaron, Emma felt much better - mentally. Doctor Simon had been doing fantastic work with her and Emma even believes she would be able to stand in front of a yelling Arthur. She might get flashbacks or grow scared a bit - but not completely out of control like she had been before. Getting control back in her life was a relief. "I'm guessing it's probably not acceptable if I slap him."

Grayson chuckled and shook his head slightly. "No, not really. Sorry." He continued. "The only thing you should be worried about for the trial is cross-examination. Aaron's lawyer is going to try to get into your head, get you to say something that could tarnish your credibility as a witness." He paused and rubbed his neck. "And they're not exactly nice about it."

"Like... what?" Emma tilted her head slightly in confusion. She wasn't certain how anything she could say would take away from the fact that she was missing for fifteen months. There was video evidence and even signs of abuse. Not to mention, Doctor Simon would validate all of the trauma she's experienced and the work she's done to accept and move past it.

"It's the defense's job to prove that Aaron isn't guilty. Obviously they aren't going to, but they're still going to try. They're going to push you. My best guess? They'll try to push you to the point where you freak out, and that might make you look like you're mentally unfit to testify. If the jury thinks you're unstable, they might not take your testimony seriously."

Emma nodded her head in understanding. "So I just... have to remain calm." She said slowly while raising her gaze back up to meet him. "I think I'll take that court dog offer." Emma joked slightly with a soft smile.

Grayson chuckled and nodded his head. "I'll get right on that tomorrow." He said.

"Mrs. Mabel?"

Emma blinked her eyes hearing her name - at least, her name while still married. She had already started to submit the paperwork to change her name back to Emma Carroll. Technically the paperwork wasn't complete, and it wouldn't be for a few weeks, but Emma still mentally considered herself rid of that name. Though it wasn't legally Emma Carroll again, Emma saw herself as only a Carroll.

Turning her head, Emma found her eyes landing on a person much shorter than she was expecting. However, it was a familiar face. Emma slowly brought her hand up to her mouth in surprise as she stared at one of her students the year she was kidnapped. Isaac. The boy that knew the answers but wouldn't go through with any of the effort on a test or homework.

Except... Isaac looked different. He was taller - much taller than before. It made sense. He wasn't a third grader anymore but a fourth grader finishing up the year. "Oh Isaac." Emma held up her arms and pulled him in for a hug.

Though Isaac was hesitant at first, since he was hugging a teacher, he eventually came around to hugging her. After all - he knew what had happened to Emma. All of her students did - though not in extreme detail, of course.

Emma leaned back and smiled at Isaac, who stood there awkwardly. The kids always felt awkward in situations like this. "How's fourth grade? Going well?"

Isaac nodded his head and glanced towards the side to a man that stood a ways away. He stepped over once Emma noticed him and held out his hand. "I'm Anthony, Isaac's father." Anthony introduced himself. "Didn't get a chance to meet you before..." He trailed off, obviously trying to be respectful.

"No, of course." Emma said with a smile while looking back towards Isaac. "I actually meant to call you that night but... obviously things came up." Emma gave a soft laugh, obviously trying to mask the uncomfortableness of the situation. "How are your grades, Isaac? Better?" Emma questioned. Isaac's grades were one thing she was concerned about since she knew he could do better.

Isaac nodded his head once again, likely feeling uncomfortable. His eyes shifted over to look at Grayson who merely sat in silence while watching. "Much better," Anthony commented while running his hand through Isaac's hair loosely. "His mom and I were going through a divorce at the time. It... wasn't hitting him too well."

That's why Isaac was falling behind. Emma bobbed her head sympathetically and understandingly - especially since she went through the same thing not all that long ago. "I'm glad fourth grade is going well. Excited for fifth?"

"Extremely." Isaac said with a grin, his eyes turning away from Grayson to look back at Emma.

"Sorry to interrupt your dinner." Anthony said while also glancing over to look at Gray. "Isaac saw you and wanted to say hello."

Emma shook her head. "No, it's not an interruption at all." She said with a smile. Seeing her students, though one in this case, always warmed Emma's heart. It only secured the thought that she wanted to get involved with teaching again... sometime soon, hopefully.

"This must be your husband," Anthony glanced over towards Gray, obviously trying to be polite while holding out his hand.

Grayson blinked his eyes for a moment before taking Anthony's hand respectfully. Before Gray could speak to correct him, Emma spoke up. "Detective, actually." She said, glancing towards Isaac.

"Detective Todd." Grayson introduced himself while pulling his hand away with a smile.

Isaac, on the other hand, glued his eyes to Grayson again. Obviously the 'detective' title got him much more interested. Now suddenly feeling much more bashful, Isaac quietly leaned over to his previous teacher and whispered, "Was he the detective that...?"

"Yes, Isaac." Emma murmured back to him, though with not quite as much secrecy that he likely wanted. "It was wonderful seeing you again." She said happily.

"Are you coming back next year?" Isaac asked with a curious look. "You should teach fifth grade. I'm supposed to have Mrs. Rogers." He made a displeased look. Though a part of Emma agreed with Isaac, since Mrs. Rogers wasn't her favorite, she wasn't going to say that.

Emma smiled at Isaac and shook her head. "Mrs. Rogers is a wonderful teacher. You will have a fun year, I promise."

Anthony and Isaac gave their goodbyes before walking away from the table. Once they walked out the front door of the restaurant, Emma turned to look back at Grayson. "Mrs. Rogers is a terrible teacher." She said with a straight face.

Grayson laughed.