Chapter 4

ENJOY

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

 "Leona?" 

   I winced. I had been almost out. Almost. Close but no cigar.

   "Yeah?" I asked, finally turning around to face my mother.

     Her face was set in a frown as she looked at me distastefully. She was dress in all black, my mother's special, with a glass of red wine in her hand. Her make up was smudged and made her look older than she really was.

   "Where do you think you're going, Leona?" She questioned.

   "I'm going to go see Talen." I played with my chipped nail polish on my pinkie finger.

  "Oh, really? To say good bye?"

   "Yes.

   "It's eleven o'clock. Do you realize that, Leona?" 

   God, does she have to say my name every thirty seconds? God.

   "Oh, really? I thought it was six. Anyway I gotta go." I mumbled sarcastically.

   I turned around and opened the door and was about to step out but of course I got interrupted.

   "Not so fast!"

    I turned my head around. This was so not cool.

    "Don't think you could use that tone with me, young lady. Leona, it's eleven o'clock at night. You have a four o'clock flight. Go to bed." She told me, pointing to upstairs furthering her point.

   "I'll sleep on the plane. This is my last chance to say good bye to Talen. I'll be back in an hour. God." 

   She tapped her foot and took a long sip of her wine. "Oh, yeah? And have you said good bye to your siblings, Leona?"

   "God, no. Jeez, they'll be at the airport and that's when I'll say good bye." I said, exasperated. All I wanted to see was my god damn friend.

   "Well you better. An hour, Leona. I mean it. Not a minute after."

   "Yes, mother." I rolled my eyes.

   "Maybe college will fix that tone of yours. An hour, I swear, Leona. One hour. I expect you here at midnight. There will be consequences if you don't show up on time." 

   Does she have to repeat things a million times? Honestly, she sounded like a freaking broken record. 

    "Yeah, alright. See you then." 

    "You better, Leona."

    I turned around and rolled my eyes so drastically it would make any teenager proud and walked out into the warm, summer night to go say good bye to my best friend.

************************************************************************************************************

   "It's going to be weird, you know?"

   "I know," I replied, playing with the grass.