Rat

The tickling drops of rainwater woke me up. They were from the multiple holes on our roof. I shivered as I embraced the coldness of the air when I put off my blanket. I got out of the bed and wore my almost shattered slippers. I past by my siblings. They were still asleep. I heard them snore even though their blankets covered their faces.

I rushed towards the kitchen. I saw my mother slicing some old potatoes. She turned to me and asked me if I can help her with the cooking. I politely nodded and checked the pot on the stove.

She is cooking a soup for our breakfast. I  got the spoon and tasted a bit of it. I think it lacks taste though our meal always turn out to be tasteless, still I think I can do something to improve it. I added some pinch of salt and pepper.

"Put these potatoes on the pot, honey. " My mother handed me the bowl of potatoes.

"Let it simmer for five minutes," she said.

"Yes, mother." I replied as I covered the pot.

"Call your siblings and tell them to prepare for school. They might get late if they oversleep." I  heard my mother say.

I began walking towards our room. I took off their blankets. I heard them whine but they immediately opened their eyes.

"Wake up sleepyheads!," I said as I pulled them out the bed.

"Yes! Let go of us already!," they cried.

I chuckled as I said, "Of course!".

"What's for breakfast?" My youngest sibling Mary asked.

"Potato soup," I simply replied. As we arrived at the table. We sat down quietly and turned to our mother when she spoke, "who's gonna pray?"

My younger sister Ann energetically raised her hand when she said, "me!"

After the prayer, we already ate and savoured our breakfast. We finished it quickly and we didn't spare any drop of the soup for it might be the only meal we are going to eat for this day.

After our meal, I quickly washed myself and changed into my uniform. After a while, the three of us were already prepared. We bid our goodbyes with mother.

We already arrived at the entrance of my sibling's school. Well, about my school, it's several blocks away from here and I'm gonna get going if I don't want to be late.

Panting, I wiped my sweats dripping on my forehead. Wooh! That was close. I appeared on the front of our classroom door a couple of seconds just before the bell rang. I breathed heavily before I entered our room. After a few steps towards my designated chair, I heard my classmates' whispers.

"She looks ridiculous."

"Why is she on our school again?"

"I've heard she's poor as rat, so, how come?"

I sighed. Didn't they know how to whisper appropriately? God, they must lower their voices to deliver their whispers properly. Or...they weren't whispering at the first place? They really let me hear them? Whatever. As if that would affect me.