Lie

I sighed in relief when he finally drove away. I am thankful that he didn't teased me after that embarrassing thing happened.

What a shame. Did I really expect for a kiss. Holy cow, are you nuts, Key?! Why did you expect for a kiss?!

I continued walking on my way to the house. As soon as I reached the door, I knocked and called out my mother. But it was my sister, Ann, who opened the door.

"Mother is in the hospital with Mary. She told me to stay here in the house to wait for you. We can follow them there after we fix our things." She said as she opened the door wider. I can see that she is crestfallen. Her eyes were pooled with tears.

After we packed the things that mother needs, we decided to proceed to the hospital.

When we reached the lobby, I told her to go. I told her I just need to go to the comfort room. She hesitated a bit and offered to accompany me but I refused. I need to do something important.

On my way, I saw few people crying while their loved ones are being rushed to the emergency room. Some looked devastated while talking to the doctors.  I looked away. That won't happen to my sister.

Finally, I reached the cashier area.

"For Mary Mendoza. I am her sister and I'm going to pay for her stay, the medicines, and the operation that will be done." I told the lady in white.

"Sure. Here's the bill." she handed me the list and it almost totaled a million.

"Are you going to pay in cash?" She raised her eyebrow.

"No. I have a check here." I pulled out the check on my pocket.

"Okay. That'll do." She eyed me with curiosity as she accepted the check.

"Please take the receipt and then then sign on these papers." She pointed at the pile of paper beside the receipt.

After I finished filling up the paper, I turned to the cashier.

"Can you not tell my mother that I paid the bill?"

"Why?" She suspiciously asked.

I hate lying but I need to resort on that in this moment.

"We are not in good terms. She won't accept any of my help even if my sister is dying."

"But—" I cut her off.

"Please? I love my sister very much! Please tell my mother someone donated the money or anything. Please, for my sister." A tear escaped in my eye.

She sighed. "Alright." I heard her say.

I can't face my mother in this state of mine. I went outside and searched for a payphone.

Mother's phone rang for three times before she answered the call.

"Keyla, where are you now?!" mother sounds furious and I know why. I ditched her for two times.

"Mom, I'm sorry I can't make it there. I...I...forgot something in the house. I-I need t-to go back. I'll f-follow y-you there as soon as I can." I stuttered.

I heard mother's heavy breathing. "Promise me you'll come here. Your sister needs you."

"Y-yes, mom. I p-promise." I bit my lip.