Chapter one: Food Poisoning is Code for Love

Start from the beginning

"I'm so sorry." She says and then she goes on her merry way. Unable to deal with the pain she shared with me, the pain of today she felt for a moment, pain I'll feel for I lifetime.

I dry my tears once more, I secretly hate when people try to comfort me. When they do, my emotions are always intensifed, because I feel like I have to be as sad as they think I should be.

I look at the group of people who showed up for Carlos' Funeral, so many people came that I don't know. It makes me smile to see them here, he really was such a good person who had such an influence on so many people. One person in perticular catches my eye, a boy in his late teen maybe early twenties.  The boy has a lanky frame, and curly hair that makes him look so nerdy. My smile fades as I continue to look at him, There's something so familiar about him. The more I stare at this boy the more I feel like I should know him.

I make my way towards him, which isn't as easy as one would think. Honestly, every time I take one step closer to him, five people have to come up and hug me, or put a hand on my shoulder. I don't know why losing someone close to you allows for people to invade your personal space. I keep my fake smile on and thank them all for coming, throw in a word or to about how much Carlos would appreciate them being here.

"Thank you so much for coming, were you a frined of Carlos'?" I ask the boy who feels so familiar to me when I finally get to him ( after 30 minutes of trying I swear)

He looks flabbergasted at me. Then offers an unsure grimace that's probably supposed to be a smile. "You could say that."

I offer my fake smile, feelijng unsure of what to say. We stand in an awkward silence, his discerning blue eyes never leaving my face, or now that I think about it, I guess they never leave my eyes.

"You were close to him?" Before I can say anything the boy's eyes dart down to my left hand, where my engagement ring still sparkles because I haven't had the heart to take it off. "Ah, I see. He must have been your everything."

The boy's words, so sweet and unexpected bring tears to my eyes. That was so sweat of him. However before I can say thank you or anything, He goes away, like we haven't been having a conversation, like he has more pressing needs to attend to. A prettier girl must have caught his eye.

For some reason this really bothers me, I watch him leave, feeling like I should have gotten more out of him than two short lines. I decide to follow him, which yet again, is easier said than done. Every one simply has to talk to the dead man's fiance. Which is stupid, words of condolence aren't going to bring Carlos back from the dead!

When I get to where the boy is, I realise he's gone into the Men's room. Not wanting to wait around for him, I glance around to make sure no one is watching, before quickly darting in the room after him.

I startle the boy who's just finished washing his hands. He walks toward me with a quizzical look on his face. "Did you follow me in. . . Are you stalking me?"

His words fill me with nervousness, and I take a step back and lock the door behind me. At my actions the boy raises an eyebrow, and takes a step closer to me, I gulp.

trying to clear my head I give it a shake, "No, you left before you could tell my why you were hear. I recognise you from somewhere and I want to know why." I say trying to hold my ground, I can admit that maybe locking him up in a boys' bathroom might not have been that smart, but in my defence it was the only sure fire way I could keep him from wandering off to find prettier girls to talk to. It seemed logical at the time.

He chuckles, and I feel myself freeze, I hadn't realised until right now how close we were because I could feel his breath on my face when he does this. "Carlos was an invaluable help to an investigation of mine a number of years ago, so I can to pay my respects when i heard he had died."