Chapter 9 -- Barnabas - 1520

Barnabas found himself once again in the company of Francis. Christina had acted quickly and informed the French King of Henry's complete hatred of him. Francis had summoned Barnabas immediately despite the tourney still going on.

Francis met him in a small tent used to store armour and weapons, the grooms and squires who had previously inhabited it were turfed out.

"What did he say?" Francis asked as soon as he appeared.

"He knows I met you the other night," Barnabas said removing his gloves, "let's say he was not best pleased about it."

"But he doesn't know what we discussed?" Francis asked curiously tapping his lower lip with his long tanned fingers.

"No. No he doesn't," Barnabas replied, "but."

"But what?"

"But he's unofficially exiled me," he said nervously running a hand through his hair waiting for the storm to come, but Francis remaind cool and collect.

"Ah," Francis said with a small smile, "I thought this might happen."

"You thought this would happen?" Barnabas exclaimed forming his hands into fists, "yet you did not have the curtesy to inform me?"

"Well...,"

"Well what?" Barnabas snapped at the tanned French King, "what will happen to my lands? My mother?"

"Rest assured they will be fine Monsieur Rochester. Henry will not-" Francis began but Barnabas pushed him back in anger.

"That King is atrocious!" Barnabas snarled, "he would not batter an eyelid if he thought he could gain something. You know this surely?"

"I judge him only on what I've seen these past weeks!"

"Then you are fool," Barnabas retorted, causing Francis to flush with anger.

"You forget whom you are talking to, Rochester."

"Where is the woman I was promised?" Barnabas asked, sensing he was on dangerous ground.

"She will be here tomorrow," Francis replied, the redness of his face slowly ebbing away. "I will send for you the moment she arrives."

"Thank you," Barnabas smiled.

"But before you see her I want you to do something for me," Francis said in a regal tone.

"Anything."

"I want you to swap the egg the Henry is going gift to me," he pulled a small green chicken sized egg from his pocket. "With this one."

"Ok," he replied as he wondered what the purpose of the exchange was.

Francis guessed his thoughts; "this egg is ready to hatch, we have had it incubated under the instructions of your friend. Now if you don't mind I have to return to today's events. I'll keep the King busy. Good afternoon," and with that Francis swept from the tent.

Barnabas waited a few minutes before following. He held the small dragons egg in his scaled hand and headed towards the Kings tent.

Rather then take Rochester he walked. He thought it was a good time to get his head together; the prospect of seeing Ling, if that was her real name, again bounced around his head. Barnabas wondered what her story would be, he had after all heard the dragons side.

After a mile the English sea of tents came into view, with the Kings temporary palace dominating the horizon. He picked up his pace and began to jog.

The temporary settlement was quiet, the only inhabitants were a handful of guards and servants. Barnabas made his way into the King's tent without any trouble. No soldier barred his entry or enquired about his reasonings for being there.

He wondered through the palaces courtyard at a leisurely pace but did not take in the wonders around him. Finally he reached the Kings door but it was barred by a steward.

"Earl of Rochester," the steward said with a curtesy.

"I am here to check on the Kings gift for King Francis," he stated in his most authoritative tone.

"No one is allowed in the Kings room without written permission," the steward said smugly.

"Do you think the King has paper, ink and his seal handy when competiting in a tourney?"

"No my Lord."

"Then do as I say."

"Of course my Lord," he said sarcastically opening the door for him. "But I will have to inform the King of this when he returns."

"I wouldn't expect you to do anything else," he said with a half smile. By the time the King returned he would be long gone, or so he hoped.

He entered the room. It was the largest and most expensive room in the palace, it probably cost more then his own tent. Gilded gold mirrors decorated the walls, probably so the king could admire every inch of himself Barnabas thought. The walls were a powder blue, embroided with gold Tudor roses and fleur de lilles. A large four poster bed sat in the centre of the room, it had matching blue curtains that were currently shut. At the end of the bed stood the Kings desk, it was here the egg was hidden.

Barnabas had to crouch to reach the bottom drawer. He pulled the draw handle and found it wouldn't be budged. With a great disgruntled sigh he realised the drawer was locked.

"Bluddy hell," he said aloud to himself. "What am I going to do now?"

"Swearing is a sin," squeaked a voice. He looked around but could not see the owner, until he saw two big blue eyes in the crack of the beds curtains.

"Who is that?" He asked standing up and approaching the bed.

The curtains flung open to reveal Princess Mary.

"It is I Princess Mary!" She squealed at him with a broad smile. "Did you win the tourney my champion?"

"Technically yes," Barnabas smiled helping Mary from the bed. "But your father thought I was too good, so he had to take me out," it was nearly the truth, but Mary was a child, she didn't need to everything.

"Oh," she sighed, "what's that in your hand?" Mary pointed to the hand holding the egg.

"Can you keep a secret?"

"Yes!" She said with a large childish smile before correcting her behaviour, becoming the demure Princess she was earlier.

"You can't tell anyone, not even your mother and father."

"Ok," she said sweetly as Barnabas uncurled his hand to reveal the egg. The princess covered her mouth in excitement. "Is that a real dragons egg?"

"Yes it is," he smiled allowing her to take it from him.

"It looks like a chicken egg,..." she said doubtfully on closer inspection. "Are you sure it is one?"

"What makes you so doubtful, do you not trust me?" He said taking the egg back from her.

"I do trust you my champion but... The other egg doesn't look like this."

"And how would you know that?"

"Because I have it right here," she pulled back the curtain to reveal the egg sitting on one of the Kings pillows.