20: Shadow of A Doubt

I walk into Veronica's room, V fixing Archie's face

I walk into Veronica's room, V fixing Archie's face. "You can't see my bruises anymore." Archie says. My purse rests in the bend of my arm as I open it up, looking for my red lip stick.

"Yes, no reason whatsoever to bring up Nick's failed attempt to kidnap and murder you." I say, looking over Archie's shoulder, applying the lipstick.

Veronica points at me. "Speaking of, there is one thing I wanted to tell you two." She says.

"What's that?" Archie questions.

"Word of my exploits serving Nick his comeuppance has seeped into the demimonde of mobsters and molls my father used to associate with." She explains. "So the five families are sending their youngest and brightest their "princes," as it were to, well, come court the rare Mafia Princess who can belly up to the bar with the big boys."

"What do you mean, "Court"?" He asks.

"Thanks to my play, the families are looking to make a business and/or political alliances with my parents. It's all very Borgia-Medici." She looks over at me. "And I want Emilia to join me." She holds out her hand at me, to which I grab and walk over. "Great!" Archie leaves minutes later and she groans. "These mafia boys make me want to choke on hors d'oeuvres." She gags. I laugh as she helps me curl my hair before walking out.

"Look at these cuties." I squeaked, looking at each boy. They all smile at me as I sit at the head of the table. "I must get to know all of you before Veronica snatches you all up."

"Well well well." We all look up and see Veronica. "Aren't you boys a handsome assortment of he-devils?" She stands next to Hermione, who looks ever. I playfully roll my eyes, pouting at not hearing a word from any of the fine men.

"Veronica, these young men have come to pay their respects."

The raven haired girl is quick to respond. "Oh, I know why they're here, Mom. And while I'm dying to hear proposals," She pulls me out of my chair. "We're already late for school. But maybe I can squeeze you in tomorrow."

Her mom leans over to us. "Uh... Tomorrow?"

"You do things your way, Mom, I do things mine." Is all Ronnie says before turning, our arms linked as we strut out of the Pembrooke. "God, I don't know how we will deal with these lovely boys." She laughs.

"We're Vemilia." I say. "Completely badass."

Betty grabs me as soon as I walk into the gym locker room, pulling me away from the rest of my class. "Betty!" I smile. "How are you?"

"Emmy we need to talk about my dad." She says, oddly terrified. She drags me into the teachers office, closing the door. I lean against a bookshelf, taking a sip from my water bottle. "I think he's the black hood."

I choke on the liquid in my mouth, covering it with my hand. "Are you kidding?"

"I wish I was. When I came home that night, and Mom said he had gone out looking for us."