13: The Tell-Tale Heart

I call Betty that night, to make sure she's home safe

I call Betty that night, to make sure she's home safe. "Emmy, something terrible happened." She cries. "Are you with Sweet Pea?"

I look over to the sleeping boy next to me, his arm laid across my spot on the mattress. "No, he's sleeping. What happened Betty?" I get out of bed and walk towards my suitcase, pulling out clothes.

"S-someone came to the house and tried to hurt Chic. Chic hit him with a lamp or and and he's dead." She sobs.

Alice picks up the phone from her crying daughter. "We need you. Now."

"I'll be right there." I hang up the phone and get dressed, writing a note to SP incase I am still gone when he wakes up.

Hi Honey,

The Coopers needed me for something urgent and I didn't want to wake you. I'll call you when I know what time I'll be back.

I place the note on the nightstand before rushing out of the house and into my car.

I storm into the house and see a bloody carpet, as well as a bloody man. "Oh my god." I whisper. Betty and Alice are finishing up the floor.

"Please get him in the car. Now." I nod and assist Betty in rolling up the body. Betty's tear stained cheeks inform me she's not handling this well. We shove the man into the trunk, locking it shut.

"Emmy..." She whispers. I wrap my arms around her, soothing her quietly.

I cup her face in my hands. "It's okay, let's get Chic upstairs and help your mom." She nods before rushing inside, me behind her. Alice has already gotten Chic into his room, and Alice Betty changes quickly before rushing back down. I slide off my blazer place it on the stairs.

"Hello? Betty?" We hear the door open, I look over at Betty and wink, who is putting things away.

Hal looks over at us, nodding. "Betty. Alice. Emmy."

"Hal."

"Dad."

"Hi Mr. Cooper."

He looks around, "Where's Chic?" He questions.

"Upstairs in his room, resting." Betty explains.

Mr. Cooper scrunches his nose, "What, what's that smell?"

"Bleach." Alice recalls. "I spilled tomato soup, and I didn't want it to stain."

"Well it must've been a lot of tomato soup, because it smells like a hospital in here."

"Mr. Cooper, let's go get your toiletries." I smile warmly, linking my arm with his before leading him upstairs.

Hal looks at me while he packs a small bag. "You know, Emmy. If they're lying you can tell me."

I furrow my brow, confused. "What would they be lying about?" I ask.

"Well, if they only spilled tomato soup, why would you be here?" He looks over at me before turning, grabbing something else.