Chapter Five: Showtime

Rachel's POV

My mood had been completely lifted by that trip to the beach, a smile lit up my face as we made our way back into school, I wasn't even fazed by the fact I skipped two lessons, something I had never done before. We made it into the building just as the bell rang for lunch.

"Right, Rachel. You sit with us at lunch and completely ignore James, flirt with people, just act like you're single, okay?" Colton asked turning to face me, looking deep into my eyes, I just nodded, not trusting my voice to not give away how nervous I was. We made our way to the cafeteria and Colton lead me to the table he sat at with his friends, I was relieved to see a couple of familiar faces from yesterday lunch mixed in with new ones. I came to the realisation that the boys are all on the football team together, I chose the seat next to Daniel, and he greeted me warmly. The girls at the table offered me welcoming smiles and hellos which really made me relax as I was insanely worried they would be the typical bitchy high school girls.

"Rachel, are you going to try out for cheerleading again this year?" The one I recognised as Cherry asked with a smile, I knew she was on the squad as well, I replied that I wasn't sure and we all talked for a bit longer before I decided to get up to got and get some food.

I was standing in line, when I felt a tap on my right shoulder, I turned around but saw no one, so I looked the other way only to be face to face with a grinning James.

"Hi." I said coldly, turning back around the face the front of the line.

"Woah, whats with the attitude? And why weren't you in lessons this morning?" He asked, clearly concerned. I shrugged him off.

"I was with friends, now if you'll excuse me, I have to pay for my food." I snapped harshly before paying for my toastie and heading back to the table. Surprised to see that Zac had since occupied my seat, although I was glad to see another familiar face.

"Zac! You took my seat!" I I whined, my eyebrows knitted together as I realised there weren't anymore available seats.

"Don't worry babe, there's a perfectly good seat right here." Dylan offered, gesturing at his own lap, I pushed the creeping blush back and instead smirked and took him up on the offer. The girls laughed at the shocked expression on Dylan's face. I laughed too but stopped the moment I caught James' hurt look from across the room, I quickly looked away and shifted uncomfortably as I felt his eyes on me. I felt Dylan tense beneath me as I moved, causing me to laugh again. He grunted and placed his hands on my hips to keep me from moving, everyone eyes were now on him.

"Are you okay man?" Finn asked him and he just nodded his head quickly as his face turned beet red. I held in my laugh, catching Cherry's eyes she clearly knew what was going on as she sent me a wink. Her laugh alerted everyone to what was really going on and soon everyone was in fits of laughter, causing Dylan's face to grow impossibly redder.

"You little minx you." Cherry said, somewhat proudly and I laughed.

"Dude, control yourself!" Jake told Dylan, still laughing. Dylan groaned in embarrassment.

"What! I can't help it when there's a sexy girl on my lap moving about. Give a guy a break" Dylan defended making me laugh even more. Zac looked disgusted at the situation unfolding in front of him.

"Guys seriously! That's my sister." Disgust not once leaving his features, the others all snickered at how uncomfortable Zac looked.

It was about ten minutes until the end of lunch when Colton stood up,

"Sorry everyone, I'm going to have to steal Rachel away now." He said calmly, which was the exact opposite of how I was now feeling, my heart was racing at 100 beats per minute. But I knew that it was too late to back out now, I got off of Dylan, saying my goodbyes to the group and following Colton out of the room. As we reached our destination I started to rethink the whole thing.

"Colton?" I all but whispered, he looked at me, waiting for me to finish the sentence, "What if this doesn't work?" I asked almost frantically, beginning to pace. % minutes left.

"It will work." Colton stated confidently. "He still wants you, I can see it, who wouldn't want you? You're sexy, beautiful, smart, and funny." He told me, locking eyes with me and walking closer, I was now against the lockers. Colton's hand on the locker next to me held most of his weight off of me. I knew in this moment, it was now or never. His face drew ever closer to mine, but not touching my lips he instead dipped his head down to my neck placing a gentle almost reassuring kiss on my skin. I relaxed, enjoying the sensation. Around us there were audible gasps and mutterings.

"Who's that with Colton?" I heard someone ask and felt Colton's lips twitch up into a smirk, still kissing and nibbling the sensitive skin below my ear. He wrapped the arm that wasn't on the locker around my waist caressing the skin of my back before sliding it down and resting it on my bum, giving it a rough squeeze. He raised his head, this time I could tell his target was his lips on mine.

"Showtime." He muttered, just a hairs width away from me. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes in anticipation.

"What the fuck is going on?"Someone screamed, and I groaned once again being broken a part before I got to taste his lips on mine. Colton's weight was lifted from mine as James tugged him away.

"Rachel, how could you?" James asked staring at me in disbelief, I just smirked.

"You just don't excite me anymore, I need a boy that..." I trailed off, looking over at colts who unsurprisingly wore a matching smirk, "Well, a boy with a little, spice." I concluded, biting my lip in satisfaction at my performance. His bottom lip quivered ever so slightly.

"How long?" He asked, his voice shaky, evidently holding back tears.

"A while." I spat back, angered by his crocodile tears, I knew he didn't care about me and I wasn't going to fall for this act. He shook his head.

"I will get you back, no mater what I love you." He told me before storming off. I sighed and fell back against the lockers, exhausted from the tense encounter. People were still gathered around unsure what to do about what they just witnessed.

"There's nothing to see here! Just go back to your own pathetic lives." Colton shouted at them making the crowd scatter immediately. Making his way over to me, he took my hand gently in his and lead me away.

"Come on Each, lets get you home." He knew I needed to get away from here and I appreciated him for that. When we got home Colton made me a cup of tea and lead me upstairs to bed. I thanked him and got under my duvet, not bothering to get changed. I felt so broken, why had I done that? I haven't fixed anything, I've just stooped to his level. Colton got up from where he was sat and went to leave, but I reached out my hand and grabbed his. He looked at me, confusion on his face.

"Please stay, I begged, my voice barely over a whisper and slightly hoarse. He stood still for what felt like an age, probably mulling over his options in his head, he sighed and his features softened, sitting back down on the edge of the bed. I pulled back the duvet.

"Come here." I told him, moving over to give him more room. He removed his shoes and climbed in next to me, allowing my head to rest of his chest. Soon enough I felt myself starting to fall asleep.

"Goodnight Colton." I muttered, eyes feeling as though they weighed a ton.

"Goodnight Kitten." He replied, kissing the top of my head gently. I soon fell into a peaceful sleep, but not before hearing him sigh and murmur, "What are you doing to me?"