Chapter Ten: Closure

It's been just under a week since I was admitted to hospital and they said I still can't leave because not only was my health not improving, it was actually deteriorating. That was probably due to the fact I wasn't eating. Despite that, today I desperately needed to get out, as today was the funeral, and I wouldn't miss it. The nurses said I couldn't go but Colton was coming to break me out, he promised.

It was gradually getting further and further away from the time Colton and I agreed. I sat in bed, waiting anxiously, twiddling my fingers under the blanket. Just as I was about to give up and try and get some rest, there was a gentle knock on my door. I sat up excitedly but immediately slumped back down when it was the doctor that entered, a sheepish Colton trailing behind him.

"What do you have to say for yourself Miss?" The doctor asked, clearly amused by the situation. I muttered curses under my breath, he had one job. One job!

"This man was found hovering around your ward, with a wheelchair, and this." He informed me, holding up a poorly constructed wig that Colton must have tried to pass as a disguise. I almost choked I was laughing so hard, just the thought of Colton wandering around with that thing on his head. They both ignored my laughter and left the room to discuss things. Once they returned, the doctor had a sympathetic look on his face, Colton must have explained the situation.

"Now Miss," He looked at my charts, "May, you aren't my patient, so I don't have the authority to dismiss you, though I am surprised you weren't granted permission." He sighed to himself, clearly caught up in his own thoughts. " Look, I'll see what I can do, but I cant make any promises." He then directed his attention to Colton, "And Sir, please never try anything like this again, there are rules in place for a reason." With that, he left the room and left Colton and I to sit and wait, rather impatiently might I add.

After what seems like forever a nurse came in, with a smile on his face and pushing a wheelchair in front of him. Colton and the nurse took me outside and helped me into Colton's car.

"She can stay for the duration of the funeral, but not a second longer. Mr. Sampson pulled a lot of strings for this to happen, so please don't betray the hospital's trust." He spoke to Colton sternly, and shot me one last look before making his way back inside. Colton took me home so I could change before driving me to the church, once we arrived we were directed to the pew at the front were Zac was already sat, waiting for the service to begin. I could tell that he knew I was there but he didn't acknowledge my presence, I sighed and watched him fiddle with the bits of crumpled paper in his hands; Dad's eulogy. I reached out and placed my hand on his shaking one, this time he did look at me. I expected to see anger, or hatred in his eyes, but all I saw was sorrow and loss.

"Don't leave me too." He whispered to me, barely audible over the murmured chatter amongst the congregation. A tear fell from his eyes as he stared intently at me.

"Never." I reassured him, sliding closer and wrapping my arms around him. We held each other like that for a while before he pulled away.

"I'm sorry I couldn't come visit Rory, I've been so busy sorting everything out with the funeral, the will, and everything else. And to be honest, I just didn't think I was strong enough to see like that again." I hate that I put him through all this again.

"It's okay, Colton told me you were getting this all ready. I'm sorry for what I did, I just didn't see another way." He sighed and just pulled me back into a hug, I knew I should have just talked to Zac and we could have helped each other.

"We'll get through this Rory, I promise you." That was the last thing he said before quiet fell over the church and the service began.

After the service everyone made their way to the cemetery, where his casket was lowered into the ground, alongside Mom's. All the names in which he was known lay in flowers next to the unsettled ground and, seeing the word 'Dad' was all it took for me to break down. I looked at Colton, who quickly made his way towards me, he wrapped his arms around me and supported me as I cried, and cried, my legs feeling weaker underneath me, my knees buckling.

"He's really gone, isn't he?" I asked through the tears as reality set in.

"I'm sorry." He said simply, stroking my head with his thumb as he cradled me. Soon enough I became drowsy and my weight was suddenly lifted. I tried to open my eyes as I felt myself being placed in a car seat.

"Shh, just go to sleep little Kitten." Colton whispered soothingly, kissing the top of my head before closing the door and getting in the drivers side.

When I woke up I was back in hospital, I sighed and leant back into the hard pillows, I sat in near silence. The only sound being the steady beep of my heart rate monitor. After an hour of nothing, a doctor came in, grinning from ear to ear.

"Hello Rachel," He chirped, causing me to roll my eyes at his over the top happy tone. "I have good news, lots of it actually." I didn't react, thinking he was just announcing the next bland menu for the day. "First of all, you have some visitors waiting outside for you, and secondly, your charts are showing that you're making some very promising progress, if you can just keep that appetite up, you'll be out of here by the end of the week." I did perk up slightly at this, I couldn't bear much longer in this hell hole. After he gave me a run down of my progress plan, he left and shortly after my visitors were allowed in. My face and mood immediately dropped when I saw who my 'visitors' were. James, Victoria, and Cherry came through the door. Cherry reached me first, bending down to hug me.

"I'm sorry, they heard Zac and I talking about visiting you and insisted on coming as well." I hugged her back and prepared for what was next. I wasn't in the mood for acting or performing I just wanted to rest.

"Get out." I told them, looking between the two, they both stood at the bottom of my bed mouths open, unsure of what to say. "I know what you two have been doing, for fuck sake you even have her lipstick on your collar right now." I explained, exasperated by their complete lack of subtlety.

 They exchanged a quick glance with each other, before Victoria decided to break the silence.

"Rachel, we only ever hooked up because of what you and Colton di-" Victoria started, however James cut her off, seeing the disbelieving glare I was shooting her.

"Give it up Victoria." He suggested calmly. After several minutes of silence Cherry ushered Victoria out of the room, much like she had before, leaving James and I alone.

"I guess you and Colton makes sense now, I never did think he was your type." James mused, perched on the side of my bed. I was agog, how was he acting so calm and collected right now.

"When did you find out?" He questioned me.

"The first day of school." I managed to squeak out, somewhat unnerved by his level of composure. He sighed, closing his eyes and putting his head in his hands.

"Rachel, I'm so sorry, I know it's not enough, but I really am. I don't have any excuse for my behaviour, I grew cocky from all the attention Victoria gave me over the summer, and I thought I could have my cake and eat it too." I couldn't help but to continue staring with wide eyes, completely shocked by his candour. "I felt neglected by you, and without facing you and being honest, I went behind your back. I'm sorry, I know I fucked this all up." He finished, sitting, watching me expectantly for a reply. I had none, I never expected this.

"I'm sorry you felt neglected by me, I was just taking the summer to really work on myself." He nodded and waited for me to continue. "What I saw hurt me, but I'm sorry for how I reacted, getting with Colton didn't solve anything." I said sincerely, we both knew this was the end of us but I think it's the closure we both desperately needed, this way we wouldn't't go on hurting each other.

"I do love you Rach, and I wish you all the best, if you ever need me... well, you have my number." He smiled weakly, pulling me into a tight hug before taking his leave.

  Cherry came back in after, sans Victoria and asked what just went on, so I told her everything and she hugged me sympathetically asking me how I felt.

"I loved him and he loved me, but neither of us dealt with our feelings rationally or reasonably, neither of us are entirely to blame for the outcome. We clearly weren't right for each other and I'm glad its all managed to come to a somewhat amicable conclusion." I told her truthfully. She smiled just as Zac came in declaring how amazing he was, parading a bag of subway around, as we all laughed. Colton came in shortly after and the four of us had a kind of makeshift picnic on my bed. In that moment I felt so loved and secure, something I hadn't really felt in a long time.