Chapter Eleven: So it's war?

I squealed in excitement as Zac came into the room brandishing a back of my clothes. Today was Saturday, near enough two weeks after I was admitted and it was finally time to go home. I embraced Zac tightly, over the moon that I could finally leave. Quickly sprinting to the bathroom, I changed into the new clothes, not wanting to waste any more time here. Once I was changed, we signed a few release papers and we were on our way home.

"Ooh!" I screeched, making Zac flinch and swerve the car slightly.

"Oops sorry, could we please go to Starbucks on the way home, I'm parched." I begged, sticking out my bottom lip and making my eyes as big as possible.

"Fine." He conceded, huffing. We made our way to the nearest one and Zac found a booth relatively quickly as I went up to order the two hot chocolates.

"Rachel!" Was called out before long and I skipped happily up to the collection point. Standing there holding two to go cups, was one of the best looking guys I have seen in my entire life. He must have been over six foot, with Black hair, olive skin, and striking green eyes. I blushed as I took the drinks from his hands, our fingers brushing together slightly at the exchange. He grinned at my flushed expression. Quickly he took one of the cups back from me, and before I could complain he was done scribbling on it and handed it back with a wink. My cheeks must have been beet red at this point, unsure what to say, is good looking a deer caught in the headlights. He chuckled at my reaction.

"My name's Aidan, I'm working now, but give me a text later." He told me, gesturing to the styrofoam cup where I could now see a number messily scrawled up the side. I just nodded and turned around, not wanting to hold up the queue any longer. I slid into the booth, sitting opposite Zac with the cheesiest grin on my face.

"What took so long?" He questioned me, a suspicious look on his face. I shrugged, attempting to brush off his question and just enjoy the moment, Zac, however, had other ideas.

"Oh cut the crap! I saw you flirting with that guy behind the counter. Take my advice and leave it. He's bad news, I can tell." He all but commanded me. My face reddened, in a weird blend of anger and embarrassment.

"And just who do you think you are, telling ME what to do?" I snapped, not in the mood for the overprotective brother bullshit.

"I'm your brother." He stated simply before his eyes dropped down. "I'm the only family you've got left, and I need to protect you." My expression softened at his words.

"Besides," he started again, "I can tell he's only trying to get into your pants." My jaw practically hit the floor at his sneering tone, and condescending speech. He didn't stop, "You are so naive, thinking a guy would want more from you after knowing you for less than a minute. Can't you see I'm just trying to look out for you, I know what guys are like." I rolled my eyes, standing up and shooting him a sharp glare.

"Hypocrite." Was all I could say before I grabbed my cup and stormed out.

"Shit." I muttered to myself as I left, realising that I didn't know the way home. I sighed in defeat and spun back around, ready to mope back to Zac with my tail between my legs, instead I bumped into someone, who immediately steadied me with their hands.

"Hey stranger." I looked up to see Aidan looking down at me with a huge grin. His cheer immediately lifting my spirits, I smiled back. Bringing myself back to reality my smile dropped and I prepared myself to walk back into the shop, but Aidan took my arm gently, turning me to face him.

"Are you okay?" He asked, genuine concern causing his eyebrows to furrow cutely. I sighed, running a hand through my hair.

"Just a bit stressed is all." I offered him a small smile but he wasn't buying it, he pulling me into a comforting hug. As we pulled away he saw the confusion on my face.

"I'm sorry, I know that was weird. You just looked like you needed it." He confessed, rubbing the back of his neck. I laughed at the sudden shyness he was exhibiting.

"Don't be, I appreciate it." His face brightened up as soon as he saw that I wasn't scared off by his random gesture.

"Well then, I know I told you to text me later but would you like to do something now?" I looked back towards the shop, seeing Zac's concerned face looking back at me through the glass. I took a deep breath before flashing a smile and nodded at Aidan.

"That would be lovely," I accepted his invitation, "what do you have in mind?" I asked.

"Well, we could just go chill at mine? It's a lovely day and not to brag but I've got a pool." He smirked teasingly, I laughed and pushed his shoulder, knowing that we were going to get on just great.

"Deal, but let's swing by mine so I can pick up my bathing suit." He smiled and lead the way to his car.

I know I just met him, and maybe leading him straight to my house wasn't the wisest idea, but I desperately needed a distraction from everything going on in my life right now, and that's exactly what Aidan could give me.

Ten minutes into my our time at Aidan's house we were already by the pool laughing and having the most fun I'd had in a long time.

"Aidan stop!" I squealed as he picked me up on his shoulder, I couldn't stop giggling as I slapped bare back.

"Nah, I'm actually really enjoying this view." He said, placing a playful tap on my ass, I could just tell from his voice that he was wearing that trademark smirk.

"To be fair, the view from here could definitely be worse.' I teased, returning the favour. He chuckled at my retaliation but carried on his march towards the side of the pool. He started swaying.

"Three... Two... One!" He shouted, throwing me from his arms into freewill towards the freezing water, but I was quick enough to manage to grab onto him and tug him in with me. There was a massive splash as we both tumbled unceremoniously into the water, and as we both resurfaced he had a pout on his face and I had a smile on mine.

"Aww baby, don't pout." I teased, poking his cheek, he crossed his arms over his chest and huffed moving out of reach, causing me to laugh. I could tell he wanted to smile, so I swam up to him and wrapped my arms around his neck.

"Come on." I gave him my best puppy dog face, he maintained the uninterested facade. I gave up and began swimming to the edge, ready to pull myself out, but before I was even halfway out of the water arms wrapped around me and spun me around. So now I was flush against Aidan's chest. I blushed and looked down, not able to keep eye contact with his intense green stare. His thumb and forefinger came to my chin and raised it so I didn't have a choice but to make eye contact. My breathing hitched my throat as he started to lean in. As he got closer he closed his eyes and gave me the perfect opportunity for revenge. He spluttered and retreated back as a massive wave of water splashed into his face. I couldn't refrain from laughing at his confused and embarrassed expression. But soon enough he smirked and raised an eyebrow at me.

"So, it's war you want?" Before I could even register what he had said he was splashing water at me relentlessly.

Most of the afternoon went by as this and I loved it, I was having so much fun and it felt like we didn't have a care in the world. We ended up wrapped in towels just relaxing and laughing on the sun loungers that were on the patio, just enjoying each others company as the sun set over the trees.

"Look about earlier when I..." he hesitated, unsure about how to go on, "well, when I tried to kiss you. I'm sorry, I don't want you to think that's the only reason I invited you here or that I expected anything from you." He kept rambling and I just smiled at his cuteness and placed a small kiss against his lips, shutting him up nicely. He hummed expressing his content with my actions. I pulled back and smiled at him as he looked confused.

"You don't have to be sorry, I've had such a nice time getting to know you today. I just can't get into anything like that right now, while things in my life are so hectic." He nodded and smiled understandingly, wrapping his arm around me and pulling me close to him so my head was resting on his chest.

"I understand, but I hope you know we're best friends now." He winked down at me causing us both to laugh. I just hope that he meant it when he said he understood and that we could both be good friends in the future.