Chapter 46

"Did you read your email yet?"

We had won the tournament last month in an easy game against a school from New York. That tournament kicked off the official spring season the day we got home. So far we were 8-0. There was two months left of school and 17 games remaining assuming we made it to the State Championship game.

March was breezing by easily. The stares I received in school had died down or at the very least I had learned to ignore them. My grades were good, my playing was good, and my relationship was great.

It was hard to believe that Finn and I had just started dating at the beginning of January and now it's the beginning of April. Three months. It felt like three years, but in a good way.

Almost every waking moment when we weren't with the team or our friends was spent together. Really, the only time we were apart was during the 5 periods we didn't share. Our friend group was the same, our sports team was the same, our free and math periods were the same, and we practically lived together at this point. In just three short months we had formed a serious relationship. Some people might say it's moving too fast, but they don't know us. They don't feel the pull that we do.

I hadn't had a panic attack since the tournament either. That was probably due to the lack of New Canaan's presence in my life. My nightmares still happened, but the frequency had dwindled to only once a week. It might not seem like a lot, but it was a world of difference compared to every other night. I was fortunate that it was starting to get better so fast.

Everything was perfect; until I saw my email.

"Yeah." Finn responded over the phone. There was a pause for a minute. "What do we do now? Call the principal? Guidance? Our dads?"

"Maybe our dads? I don't know. What if we can't get our diplomas? This is horrible." I stressed out over the phone while sitting on the coach in my living room.

"What's this about not getting your diploma?" My father asked, popping his head out of the kitchen. Of course that's the one thing he would hear. I resisted the urge to roll my eyes at his impeccable timing. "Who are you on the phone with?"

"Finn. Olympic training starts in two weeks dad. In DC." I replied with no energy in my voice. My father knows that Finn and I are dating. He figured it out when he walked into the kitchen upon getting off work early to see us making out. Talk about awkward. Thankfully, the feeling passed by the next time they was each other. Now, they chatted like old friends.

After that encounter two weeks ago, Dad cornered me and demanded to know how long we had been dating. He wasn't upset, he actually liked Finn.

God knows that surprised me.

Then again he didn't meet 'asshole Finn', he met 'tamed boyfriend Finn'.

"Is that the father?" Finn asked dumbly over the phone. I didn't bother responding because my dad already started talking.

"I'm sure you both will be able to graduate. Your state health classes are done, you've taken an economics class junior year so you don't need this years, and you have enough credits. I can call principal Gaurino on Monday to talk about it. Bottom line is my daughter is getting her high school diploma." My father said while crossing his arms. It was a Saturday so he was dressed in a Packers T-shirt and jeans. One of the rare times he wasn't in a full on suit.

"Finn, don't worry about it now. Just tell your dad and we can see Gaurino on Monday." I relayed the information to my equally as anxious boyfriend.

Neither one of us wanted to leave high school without a degree, especially when we were so close. I can't imagine myself not having a highschool diploma. It wasn't worth it. But then again, going to the Olympics was a once in a life time opportunity. I'm sure it would work itself out considering my grades, but I was still anxious that I would have to choose.