Chapter 20

As much as I love finally having a girl friend, Al drove me fucking crazy.

That night we all went to the mall and wondered around the food court then walked around Dick's, looking at sports gear. Yeah, we're pretty lame for 'popular' kids.

If it's any consolation, we almost got kicked out because Sam wouldn't stop telling them how Finn and I were going to Olympic trials, no doubt making us feel super awkward. The whole time Al made sure to talk about all the hot lacrosse guys I would meet but I quickly reminded her I was there to win, not to find a boyfriend. I may or may not have also made a remark about not getting my hopes up because 'I have yet to see any drool worthy lacrosse guys and I'm surrounded by them everyday, all day'. Sam and Finn took great offense to that.

The rest of my weekend was pretty boring. My father left for a week long business trip Sunday night and he wouldn't be back until next Saturday night, giving me free reign for the next 6 days. On Monday morning, both Finn and I appeared at the office with raised eyebrows and smirks on our faces as we caught sight of the papers in each other's hands.

"Eager much?" I asked snarkily.

"I wouldn't be talking if I were you, Mason." He replied with a small mirth filled smile.

That was about the only friendly interaction we had all week. It seemed that our plan of keeping to ourselves was actually working out for once. It surprised me that we had managed to stay away. It had proven so hard last time that I doubted it would work this time, but I was wrong.

On Monday, Principle Gaurino also made an announcement about the Olympic trials. Needless to say, people stared at me a lot more then they already did. I could feel the eyes on me as I walked through the hall, especially when I was with Finn and the others. Throughout the week I even noticed some people started hanging around to watch our practices.

If Finn and I had been rough with each other before, now we were on a whole new level. It almost seemed like practice was a full blown state title game and the two of us wanted the other dead. It made us look like dedicated players, but I couldn't help but feel like this was hurting us emotionally.

I had said I wanted us to stay away from each other, but that didn't mean I wanted us to hate each other. I shouldn't complain though, because I have no intention of extending an olive branch. It would put us in the same position we were in before.

Coach insisted that we all went out on a celebratory dinner to which Finn and myself protested heavily. We didn't want this to become a big deal and then not make the team. It was already stressful enough but now the whole school was looking on us. I wished everyone had just kept their mouths shut about it, but it was too late now.

The rest of the team was all for eating out so it wasn't much of a debate, more of Finn and I whining at practice about how we should go out if we actually make the team.

It didn't work; Obviously.

So here I am. Sitting in a casual navy colored skater dress and a simple silver watch. It was a nice restaurant that the school used for banquets so the boys were dressed up too. It was like a pre-season Varsity banquet. At least that's what I was telling myself. I still didn't want to accept that this was about me.

All the boys had on suit jackets to match their dress pants and shoes. Chris wore black with a white button down and a black tie with white stripes. Sam wore grey with a light blue shirt and dark blue tie.

Finn was wearing a navy suit jacket with a white shirt and a blue tie. What can I say? We show school spirit.

The entire restaurant was rented out for the event. There were about 18 or so players, along with all three coaches (despite the fact only one actually coached us) and administration officials like the Principle and Superintendent. My table of five happened to be me, Sam, Finn, Chris, and Jameson. I figured the four of us would be together but the other seat was up in the air. It could have been Aiden, Jake, Luke, Josh, or Jameson. Although I was friends with all of them, I was glad it was Jameson. He was least likely to embarrass me with snide and perverted remarks.