Chapter 26

I don't think I've ever been more nervous for something in my entire life.

My team had won the first game against Finn's team. I had been placed as center defender and I got the ball multiple times, even scoring once because David barked at a college player to stay back so I could go forward. I still didn't understand David, but in that moment he had helped me so I didn't care enough to paint a negative picture of him.

Finn scored one of the two goals for his team while Jason scored the other. I was defending Jason though, so that score was bitter sweet. Whenever Finn came into the D-Zone, I noticed that he tried to avoid me. I think he didn't want to make me look bad if he got past me. He had without a doubt done it many times before so his hesitation surprised me.

Finn was becoming harder to understand every day. I thought he was confusing when I first met him, but it turns out that his kindness is even more perplexing than his anger.

Either way, that wasn't the cause of my anxiety.

I had a game off while Finn's team played Devin's team. Finn scored all three goals but they lost because their defense sucked ass. That meant I was about to play Devin's team for the win of the day. It was stressful because we had one midi sub and one attack sub who David didn't want to play because they were the weakest links.

I told him he had to play them eventually so he relented. They would start this championship game and then switch out after the first half. I had taken it among myself to captain the defense. David and I sort of CoCaptained the attack since we both wanted to be in charge. I think he respected my choices as a player. That first day he was probably just joking with us and we over reacted. But that still didn't explain his actions during the weight training. He had painted a huge target on my back whether he intended to or not.

As fore mentioned, David confused me.

Devin was nice though. Too bad he wasn't on my team.

I watched as David took the face off. He won it in no time and flicked the ball to a Syracuse senior named Matt. Matt was one of the quiet ones. He took the ball and darted down the field. He had gotten second in all the track events.

Devin's defense just couldn't stay on him because he juked two of them before side arming a shot that went in with ease.

On the second face off, one of the subs took it. It wasn't an easy win for the other team, but after a few seconds they had possession and were charging towards us. I moved forward to cover the red head barreling down the center. He had given his midis the slip and was unguarded until I got on him and started to force him to the side.

I cleanly checked his stick harshly before giving him a slight push. The combo made the ball drop and I aggressively clashed hips with him but he had a solid figure. My stick dug up the ball but his stick was already under mine. He couldn't force it up because that's a whistle so instead he forced one side of my stick up so the crosse flipped and the ball rolled out.

He scooped it but I checked it back out. His grip wasn't the strongest. I got the ball this time and took off running down the field. I saw an attack player open across the field on the right so I took that risky shot before a defender could get on me.

Luckily, it payed off when the attack player caught it. He was wide open so he side armed it from the 30 yard line to the goal. The goalie stopped it at the last second and I found an open midi to guard in seconds.

The goalie launched the ball down the field to a player who made a break from his defender at the forty on my side. Josh, the defender, wasted no time in pushing them and getting the ball. He was open to pass it and I left my mark like a flash. I was open yelling 'here' in seconds. Josh caught my eye and launched it at me with no hesitation.

I caught the ball easily and cradled it fast as I ran to the restraining line. I passed to David who was open on my right. His defender dove in front of him at the last second and caught the ball. The defender was charging up the field.

I booked it down the field, crossing over to his right side so the head was exposed to me. He was too close to the middle to try and force out so this was my best choice. I switched to left hand and checked him as I came up on his side. It didn't fall out so I pushed my legs to go harder as I worked my body in front of his. It caused him to freeze for a second before he juked me but I predicted his move before it happened so I stayed in front of him.

The second time he rolled to blitz me and he was successful. He backed it up because the 10 meter was looking a little crowded. It cleared out as his team mates tried to get open for a pass. Unfortunately, everyone cleared out leaving him a clear shot at the goal.

Obviously, he took it but I got my stick up just in time to catch the ball in my stick. It was a perfect play. I spotted an open attackmen  just standing at the restraining line so I launched it before anyone could get on me and my teammate caught it. He stormed at the goal and made a prefect corner shot.

Finn was right when he talked about forgetting where I am when I play. I totally forgot my nerves once I saw that ball.

That play ended up being my most epic one of the day. My team lost the game but I didn't even care. We only lost by one and that time it wasn't my fault.

Both Finn and I were happy with our performances for the day, despite not winning. We had demonstrated our skills and we couldn't ask for more. After our physicals we headed back to the room and started to pack.

I was glad that I brought three sticks. We had to use normal sticks for day three but I used my D-Pole today. I suppose I didn't need two of them, but better safe then sorry.

"So. It's our last night in the city. What do you want to do?" Finn asked as he walked out of the bathroom with a towel wrapped around his waist. It was only five and our flight wasn't until two the next day.

"Well, we do know a 23 year old and there are no adults around. We just finished training so we are no longer on a diet. I say we have him buy us a case of beer an we pig out on that legendary chicken and waffles this hotel serves that I've been eyeing all week."

"I like the way you think, Mason." He said while grabbing sweatpants and boxers out of the drawer.

"So do I, Riley. So do I."