Sow Dragon's Teeth

A lonely tower in the middle of an abandoned country forest. Surely something wonderful was inside.

"Basil, does that map of yours say anything about a tower?" Hector asked.

"No, Sir. According to what's recorded here, there's nothing but trees," his manservant replied.

A grin spread across Hector's face. "How intriguing. Do you remember those silly stories that one nursemaid used to tell us as children?"

"The fairy tales, Sir? Yes, I do recall them."

"What was it that was usually found in towers in those stories?"

"I think it depended on the tale, but very often a princess?"

A princess. That was exactly what he needed.

Since having been assigned this small piece of land to rule over-although it felt more like banishment-Hector had been desperately seeking a way out. The land was completely void of life. There were no villages, which meant no villagers, which meant nobody to entertain him. It had been weeks since he had laid eyes on a pretty maiden. At this point, he'd settle for a homely one.

Alas, his father would not have him back until he "learned responsibility." And by that, he meant, "stop sleeping around." But what else was he supposed to do? Being the youngest of fourteen children-ten of whom were older brothers-meant that a whole lot of people would have to die for him to inherit the throne. Save some cataclysmic event, he didn't see that happening anytime soon. So why not entertain himself with the ladies? Especially when they were so willing. Being a prince-even the youngest of ten-attracted women of all sorts.

Now, though, he realized that his only chance at escaping this dull existence was to find a princess to woo so that he could marry his way back into luxury. And a princess trapped in a tower would be an easy conquest.

"Basil, I think we've just found our way back to royal living."

"Sir, are you certain about this? You do recall that in the fairy tales there were all sorts of traps and hags and monsters to defeat. It was never quite so simple."

"Yes but those were stories. Surely rescuing a maiden from a tower can't be that difficult. They just exaggerate for the sake of entertainment."

"You know, a simpler solution to your predicament would be to stop deflowering your sisters' ladies-in-waiting."

"Do you really think I'm capable of that?"

Basil sighed. "But if there is a princess in there and you do rescue her and marry her, you realize that you'll be bound to her? There will be no more conquests."

Hector gave a smirk. "Are you really so idealistic to believe that?"

Another sigh from the manservant. "Have you your sword?"

Pulling his blade from its sheath, Hector dismounted from his horse. "You know I always do. Now, let's find a way inside."

The two men circled the tower several times, moving aside the vines that climbed up the stones and picking away the moss that had grown between the cracks. But no matter how hard they searched, they could not find a door or a window. It was all stones and vines.

"No windows up above, either," said Basil. "But it does look as though the roof has been torn off."

"So climbing it is. Grab me the rope from my saddlebag."

Basil dug through the bag. "Why do you have rope with you?"

"Hopeful thinking. I have it on hand in case we by some miracle find a village and I meet some pretty girls."