Chapter 9 - Blame and guilt

*The hospital*

Tom could swear his heart beat was getting crazy. But then whose heartbeat wouldn’t go crazy if he had a little brother taken to surgery for a stab wound. Tom sat there in the waiting room trying to blink back tears hoping he wouldn’t lose his brother. He stared at the floor trying to avoid looking up to his bandmates, not wanting to show his broken look. Though every of the boys knew exactly what was going on in Tom’s mind because just like Tom, they were also scared.

Siva sat on the chair opposite to Tom. He was really worried about Nathan. In the last few days, he had bonded with Nathan so well and now the thought of losing him was scary as hell! He had been considering the boy as a little brother. Even Nareesha liked the boy a little. Nathan wasn’t just Tom’s younger brother for them; he was part of the family. Nathan was family to Siva! He didn’t want to lose his youngest family member at any cost!

Max was also in a similar kind of state to Siva. Nathan was just like his baby brother! Ever since whatever happened with Mayra, Max had been trying to make it up to Nathan. He had cause Nathan much trouble and he was now determined to make things up to the boy. Also, since he came to know that Nathan self harms, he’d been very protective of the boy. Now, that he had grown attached so much to the lad, Max certainly didn’t want to lose Nathan!

Just like the others, Jay also was scared for Nathan. He had become best of friends with the boy. He was glad to be the one who Nathan would come to whenever he had nightmares or if he wanted to cut and Jay would talk him out of it. As Jay was younger than the others boys, Nathan found it easy to talk to Jay. He had bonded so well with Nathan! And right now, it scared him to even think that they might lose Nathan!

Scooter sat at the far end of the bench from Tom. He didn’t dare to look at Tom. He didn’t want to see the lad blaming him. Though he was blaming himself for Nathan’s state! Scooter had had many troubles with that man, who apparently was Scooter’s half brother and right now they were arguing about their ancestral property. Seems like he had enough this time and wanted to end with a knife in Scooter’s back. And that would have happened if only Nathan hadn’t run in between them.

Scooter can’t bring himself to accept that Nathan, someone who Scooter was not exactly so kind to, had saved his life. Indeed he was indebted to the lad now. Nathan saved his life. If Nathan hadn’t been there then it would have been Scooter in place of Nathan in the surgery right now. It also meant that Scooter was the reason for Nathan to get hurt. And for that Scooter would blame himself for times to come if Nathan didn’t make it!

Tom glanced at the boys and then to Scooter. Looking at Scooter, Tom recalled what had just happened and he could hardly process it. His brother was fine just a few minutes ago. He went to the bathroom and then they heard Scooter screaming. When they ran outside, they found Scooter cradling Nathan’s head in his lap and Nathan was surrounded by a pool of his own blood, his stomach sporting a stab wound. From there it was a big panic, the boys managed to call an ambulance and here they were, waiting for any news concerning his brother.

“Scooter, what happened outside?” Tom asked. “I’m sorry Tom! I’m really sorry! I know the words hold no importance but still, I know it’s my fault.” Scooter said rubbing a hand over his face. “I just want to know what happened” Tom mumbled. “Who was it? Who stabbed Nath?” Max asked. “It was my brother. My half brother! He went to stab me but Nathan came in between. He saved me!” Scooter said. Siva sat down next to Scooter. “Why would your half brother want to kill you? Things not good between you two?” Siva asked. “We’re fighting over some property. I guess he had enough and killing me might get him the property!” Scooter chuckled sadly. “It’s not your fault” Tom whispered. Scooter sighed as he pulled Tom in a hug. Here, he was expecting Tom to blame him but the lad was, to the contrary, forgiving him.

Tom sniffled as he pulled back from Scooter just in time for a doctor to walk to them. “Is Nathan fine?” Scooter was the first to ask the doctor. The doctor gave them a little smile. “Family of Nathan Parker?” The doctor asked. “I’m his elder brother!” Tom said. “Mr. Parker, we’ve stitched your brother’s wound but he lost a lot of blood. We’re doing a blood transfusion. Let’s hope he recovers soon which I am very sure about. But what I really wanted to talk to you about was that we have found many cuts on Nathan’s body. His arms and thighs mostly and they are self inflicted wounds. This makes us guess that Nathan self harms!” the doctor said.

“What? No! It can’t be” Tom gasped. “Actually it is true, Tom!” Max said. “You knew?” Tom asked. Max nodded. “I’ll leave you to it boys” the doctor excused himself. “Who else knew?” Tom asked. “I knew even before Max” Jay said. “None of you thought about telling me” Tom yelled. “Listen Tom” Max said only to be cut off by Tom shoving him into the wall. “I’m his brother, Max! I’m supposed to know about all this” Tom shouted. “And clearly you’re a shit for a brother!” a voice came from behind.

The boys turned back to see Lena and Jason, Tom and Nathan’s parents standing behind them. “Who called you here?” Jay asked. “Jason has a friend working here. He saw Nathan in surgery and informed us!” Lena said. “Tom isn’t…” Siva said but was cut off by Jason’s laugh. “Someone who doesn’t know that his little brother self harms and couldn’t protect his brother from a stranger who came to stab him is what I call a useless brother.” Jason said.

Tom looked up to Lena and Jason as the words of his parents echoed in his mind. They were right! He wasn’t a good big brother! Tom said nothing as he walked out of the waiting room making his way out of the hospital. He failed his little brother! “Tom, no! Wait!” Siva shouted. “Mr. Parker?” A doctor walked to them. “Where is Mr. Parker?” The doctor asked. “He went out! Why?” Jay said. “We are at loss of blood for Nathan. We don’t have the type of his blood group anymore and he lost too much of blood. We need blood fast, we’re losing the boy!” The doctor said.

“Then make arrangements! Call for more from blood banks!” Jason said. “We have enough money to buy whatever you say” Lena shouted. “Who are both of you?” The doctor asked. “Nathan’s parents” Lena said. “You can’t buy your son’s life with money, ma’am! But if you want we can test your blood groups and if it matches, you can give your son blood” The doctor said. Lena and Jason looked at each other and then back to the boys. “We will prove you boys that we are better at taking care of Nathan than Tom!” Lena said as she nodded to the doctor and followed behind him with Jason. “I’ll go get Tom in case we need him” Max said.

After a few minutes Jason and Lena walked out waiting for the doctor to come with test results. “I’m sorry but your blood group doesn’t match. I think your eldest son’s might match, if you’d call him and quickly” the doctor said before going back. “We don’t need Tom! We can call and make other arrangements” Lena said. “I just hope Max finds Tom!” Siva said. “I don’t want to lose Nathan” Jay said flopping down on the chair. “Let’s just hope Tom gets here in time” Scooter said wrapping an arm around Jay.

A/N

Here’s chapter 9!

Dedicated to @Nazzayah, @DeanPryor1, @Mel_Amelia, @AbegailPandaan, @Thomas_Fiss, @sandygirl2000, @bonnie1234567, @AmberNMiller, @Just_Rajkiran, @skymeg, @crazylover6585

Also dedicated to all those who read and voted for the story!

Thank you to those reading!

Please Read/ Vote/ Comment/ Suggest what should happen next!

xx Hailey