Ch 79 - Preservation

If there was such a thing as the world slowing down and speeding up at the same time, then Sanji was experiencing it for the first time. Every ragged breath that escaped from Nana's lips seemed to echo and drag on in his ears but at the same time, the movements of everyone around him seemed to move in a blur. Sanji rushed over to her and moved his arm under Nana's neck, cradling her head against his chest. Once he made contact and felt the warmth slipping away from his hands, time went back to normal and his senses returned.

"Big Bro!" the marines shouted, "What's going-"

"Shut up! Shut up! Everyone just shut the hell up!" Sanji roared as he looked over at Chopper, "What the hell happened? Chopper?!"

"She took the candy from the kids," Chopper said in a rushed breath, "And she crushed them all but there's poison gas in it. She didn't breathe all of it in but-"

"That's all I need to know right now," Sanji shouted and stood up with Nana in his arms and Chopper still kneeling on her chest, "Just tell me what to do. Where to go. Come on, Chopper! Spit it out!"

"Like I'd let you take-" Monet started to say as she soared towards them with her weapons pointed at the cook's back.

Thwack!

With a swift roundhouse kick, Sanji knocked her weapons right out of her talons. He kept his head lowered, refusing to take his eyes off of Nana, while he kept his foot high in the air, just inches away from Monet's face. Only the cook could manage to do so while keeping Nana and Chopper balanced perfectly in his arms. "Don't," he said lowly.

"Don't what?" Monet taunted, "Don't try to take your lover away from you? How sweet?"

"Don't make me kick a woman," Sanji said, his foot slightly shaking out of pure anger.

Monet licked her lips,"Well now that would be an honor!"

Sanji felt like his back was against the wall. Every bone in his body was itching for him to just land a devastating blow. He was furious and terrified at the same time and he needed an outlet to release that anger. However, his heart and his mind were refusing his leg to even move an inch. He couldn't kick a woman...but if he didn't, wouldn't that put Nana in danger? Sanji gritted his teeth and he withdrew his leg.

He hurriedly turned his back on the woman, slightly hunching over Nana to protect her in case the Monet attacked with her sharp talons. "ZORO!"

Shing!

Monet swooped down but this time, she was blocked by the green haired swordsman.

"If you want them, you'll need to get past me," Zoro growled as he pushed Monet away. The bird woman disappeared into the snow just as his swords came slicing through. Zoro shared a solemn look with the blonde. "Go."

Sanji gave a nod of thanks to the swordsman as he sprinted out of the room. The whole world began to fade away from him again. He didn't notice that Monet had tried to intercept again and that Tashigi was the one to block it off. He didn't notice the sounds of clashing weapons or the shouts from the marines. He didn't even notice that a handful of them had followed him out of the room. It didn't matter to Sanji. All that mattered was who he was carrying.

"There should be an examination room around here," Chopper said and Sanji could only nod.

"Big Bro, we're the medical team-" one of the marines shouted out to him.

"Then hurry the hell up!" Sanji snapped as they rounded a corner and into a medical room.

"Ah! Half of you go after the kids!" Chopper called out while Sanji lowered Nana onto the medical bed. Her body had broken out into a sweat and it gave her pale skin a sheen that made her look as if she was melting. Her eyes were closed but he could see rapid movement beneath her lids. She was awake but too much in pain to say anything.