Ch 64 - A Visit to the Palace

Nana showed Usopp the compact to show the green flashing dot on the screen. "See? We follow that dot, we'll get to Franky."

"So handy," Usopp breathed as Nami quickly confiscated the compact.

"Wait! Nami!" Nana protested but Nami grinned at her.

"I'm the navigator. I'll give it back to you when we're off this island."

"You mean, when you've loaded the Sunny with the king's treasures and we have to make a quick getaway?" Nana asked.

"Yep!" Nami said proudly.

"At least whisper! The king is right there!" Usopp hissed.

"Oh! Pappagu-san," Brook said, "If I remember correctly, you said you were friends with the Mermaid Princess."

"Shhh! Shhh!" Pappagu said frantically.

"Oh...so that's a lie," Brook sighed, "Anyway, I feel sorry for Sanji-san. He wanted to see the Mermaid Princess more than anybody."

Usopp tensed up and he looked nervously at Nana. Nami saw the look on the sniper's face and she frowned over at Nana. "Did something happen to Sanji-kun?"

"He lost a lot of blood from over stimulation," Nana stated tersely, "So he's resting with Chopper after we found a couple of humans who shared Sanji's blood type."

"Nana..." Usopp said cautiously, "Luffy and I went to go take one last look at Sanji before we came to the Mermaid Cafe. He seemed really depressed...and that was before he found out his blood donors were two drag queens. Whatever you said to him, really hit him hard."

"I said to him what he needed to hear," Nana muttered.

"Still...You can't be too hard on the guy. I don't think he has any control over -"

"You weren't there, Usopp-sama," Nana said quietly as she pulled down her scarf so that Usopp could hear her clearly, "So you don't understand."

"What are you talking about? I was at the cove with you."

"No...I mean, at Marineford," Nana whispered so only him and Nami could hear her.

The two Straw Hats stiffened as Nana continued. "Luffy was minutes away from dying. He looked so much worse than when Sanji and I found Zoro at Thriller Bark. I didn't even think that was possible. It was a miracle that I came with a doctor and even then, after Luffy was operated on and was pronounced stable, there was still a big chance he was going to die."

Nana shook her head as soon as the memory came flooding back in. "I trained so hard the last two years...not just because I don't want to see us separated...but because I don't want to see any of us near death like that again...And for Sanji to risk his life for something so...so...stupid..."

She drew in a shaky breath. "I know eventually, he's going to return back to normal but...I can't wait that long because I can't watch another nakama die in front of me. I can't."

She looked over at Usopp. "I said what I needed to say to him not because I don't love him...and not because I think he doesn't love me. I said it because it was the only thing I could do to get him to listen and pay attention."

"Good for you," Nami said with a nod, "About time someone found a way to control Sanji-kun's behavior."

"It's not control," Nana murmured as she pulled her scarf over her mouth.

"Oh! I almost forgot. I already invited one of your friends!" the king called over, "He is a swordsman. he started drinking at the banquet already. His name is..."