Chapter Fifty Four - Somebody Elses Party

Soon the garden was packed with guests, all dressed in their summer finery. Her birthday party had become one of the Queen's palace garden parties, except it was even more exclusive. Where were the casual outfits? Where's the rocking music and kids running around? Most importantly, where were any of her friends from Marlborough?

Ellie tried to be as polite as possible with everyone who spoke to her, grateful for their time and efforts in their charities, now without Charlotte to help keep conversations going, but all the while she was on constant lookout trying to spot at least one girl from her dormitory. It had been at least two hours and she'd had no luck, even Taylor Swift had been swept away by the grownups.

She would know a thing or two about best friends.

At least the family was still here, tactically dispersed throughout the garden to talk to as many people as possible and push the royal brand. Savannah and Isla were there, hiding by the bushes with the other teenagers and kids, keeping to themselves. They beckoned Ellie over, noticing her discomfort in the middle of the crowd, the center of attention, but as soon as she made a move to reach them, she was swept aside by her grandmother, Camilla.

"Eleanor, darling, are you enjoying your party?" she asked sweetly.

"Yes, granny, it's lovely." Ellie lied. Half lied. Mostly lied.

"It's a wonderful gathering, so many bright minds come to see you. You should feel very special."

She hated being told how she should feel, but felt bad for feeling anything but special.

"I do granny, I do." Ellie reassured her, feeling even more guilty.

It's not that I'm not grateful for them, I can be charitable, I'm a nice person. I just... don't want them here. Shit, that sounds terrible.

"Have you seen any of my school friends?" Ellie asked hopefully, even though she knew her grandmother had no clue who her friends were. As sweet as she was, Camilla still thought she liked Take That, even though they were before her time.

"School friends, dear? Camilla seemed confused. "This isn't really the right place for that sort, is it?"

"That sort?" Ellie pressed her. Thankfully she was well practiced in disguising her irritation. Camilla didn't pick up on it.

"Yes, the rowdy sort. I imagine your school friends are rather less refined than yourself. Marlborough has been going downhill for years. I did argue for you to be sent to Queen's Gate and then Mon Fertile, but your mother insisted on Marlborough."

Ellie ignored that jab. Camilla had always been clear, either outright stating it or via a veiled remark, that she felt Ellie had had too much of a 'common' upbringing that was not fitting of a future queen. This was no different.

"It is where she went, granny." Ellie reminded her.

"I know, I know, it's a family thing. I still feel you would have done better at Queen's Gate, at least then you would have made friends we could actually invite."

"What does that mean?" Ellie was now struggling to hide her anger.

"Darling, did you honestly expect your mother to send any invitations to Marlborough? This was always going to be a formal event, although between you and me, this seems far too casual."

Ellie was seething. She turned away from Camilla and watched the party, soaking it all in. The party atmosphere had vanished and all she could see was money. The posh and the wealthy, the upper class. She was growing more and more uncomfortable by the second. Why would her mother let this happen?